View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 PM

synct is on a distinguished road
Vibration - Center Support Bearing - X5 2004 3.0

I'm in North Jersey and also Stamford CT area. In the past year, I had my 2004 X5 (100K now) 3.0L trans replaced in Wayne NJ (another whole story) and after it failed AGAIN under their warranty, it was rebuilt and now works fine, to their credit. But, when I got it back, there was a significant vibration at about 40 MPH, disappearing at 60 or so. I had had the front axels/bearings replaced during the year (DSS from FCP Groton, lifetime warranty) and then had to return them (defective) for free replacement AGAIN. Don't think that's the problem, they look OK.

OK. So after the trans rebuild under warranty, now there's this vibration issue. Tires were rebalanced. Front bearings look good, no rips in boots. Trans guy is willing to take it down again, but I found a repair place in Stamford (Import Cars of Stamford CT - George) who says its probably the Center Support Bearing (CSB) on the driveshaft. He accurately diagnosed a bad Valve Cover leak this week, stopping that noxious oil smell ($300) and replaced the fuel filter I brought in ($100/labor.) Showed me that the Oil filter Stand gasket needs replacement ($330) Radiator Heater Core replacement ($1,200) and P/S hose leaking ($530) Smart guy, knows BMWs, I would recommend him. Yeah, this is alot of repairs.

On this forum and bimmerfest, it looks like the CSB is the culprit. He's going to look at it, Monday on the lift. Part cost looks like about $90.

Here's my questions: 1) What have you paid for a CSB replacement? 2) What else may/should have to be replaced while taking that down? 3) Any further thoughts on the vibration? 4) Could the trans guys have damaged the CSB when putting back the trans and driveshaft? 4) Do the costs shown above seem reasonable?

Last edited by synct; 01-01-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Type-o

Sponsored Links