View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM

SkipSauls is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=1stE53;799587]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA330xi View Post
I agree that bigger is not better. BMW should not try to do a "people mover" a la MB GLs which are really Chrysler mini vans.

, where did you hear that? I would like to throw out my shenanigans card on that one. (I don't know for a FACT that you are wrong though, just seems strange to me)
I'm pretty sure that the GL is built on an extended ML chassis, at the same plant in Alabama. The new Jeep Grand Cherokee is built on the ML architecture, and interestingly, the new Dodge Durango is built on an extended version of that same architecture. The GL has a longer wheelbase than the new Durango, but it may be that both are based on the same general direction.

I'm glad to see that Chrysler got a few good things from the Mercedes debacle, like the E-class architecture for the 300/Charger (even if older) and the ML-class architecture for the GC/Durango. Fiat looks to be making a real effort to improve the vehicles, and hopefully they'll recover from the terrible "Daimler Years" that set them back and nearly killed them.

Sponsored Links