View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 PM

jmudalige is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Cold weather Crankcase vent valve issues

Hi folks
My 2001 X5 4.4 (M62 engine) started giving some disturbing symptoms. On a frigid day in MN (-20F) after being parked overnight, it started up fine and within 5 - 10 minutes of driving very thick blueish smoke bellowed out of my exhaust and the engine died!! also accompanied by a burning odor and oil on my exhaust pipes

I towed it to the nearest repair shop and they replaced the Mass airflow sensor. And things went back to normal. (the weather had warmed up a bit as well)

2 weeks later the exact same issue on a below freezing day. I had the car towed home and removed the plugs they were covered in oil. Cleaned out plugs, and started the car. It emitted very thick smoke for about 3 minutes and then the smoke reduced quite a bit.

I can now run it and it still smokes more than it should, and gives out a strange odor (believe its oil burning). I use mobil 5W30 full synthetic.

Also have my SES light on giving out code P0343 (Camshaft position sensor circuit high input) my gut instinct is that code doesnt seem related to the symptoms.. smoke, burning oil etc.. but correct me if i am wrong

from research, I found out the part that needs replacing is the CCV (Crankcase vent valve) that gets damaged when the moisture buildup in crankcase freezes instantly, and releases oil from the crankcase into the intake manifold. The part number is 11 61 7 501 566.

My problem is, I cannot seem to locate the CCV in my engine. If anyone has been through this and can give me some advise on where to find this part and if replacing the CCV fixed this issue? Thanks much!

Sponsored Links