View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM

FSETH is on a distinguished road
There are two problems with the 335d;

1) It is expensive. To the tune of nearly double a pre-owned e90 328i. There were 80 used 335d's available in the US on Autotrader right now up to year 2010. The cheapest being $35,000+. You can get a couple year old 328i for about $20k +/-. You know how expensive gas would have to be to make up that difference?

2) No manual transmission available. The 3 series to me is an enthusiast type of car. I want it to feel sporty and I want it with a manual transmission.

Although the torque would be great in the 335d, it's engine will not be the same silky smooth, high revver that the gasoline versions are. It would dissapoint in that aspect for me personally. A diesel in an SUV, like the X5, is a different story, because in an SUV, that torque is more important. Not only to get the extra mass of an SUV rolling, but for towing as well. I would be 100 times more likely to buy a diesel X5, than a diesel 3-series, or any car for that matter.

I agree with JCL, BMW missed the mark by not offering the smaller engine diesels over here. I think BMW could have sold the 320d/325d much better than the 335d.

Sponsored Links