View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 PM

ard is on a distinguished road
Lets talk FSC Activation Codes...

There is very little information on the whole process of FSC activation codes... I thought maybe this thread might start a conversation.

My understanding is that this is a system BMW has put in place to attempt to control the loading of software into their cars (actually "your" car).

For example- the Navigation maps will only load onto the CIC hard drive if you enter a FSC code that bmw creates by 'convolving' the VIN of the car, and the software FSC SWID code...and creating a 20 digit activation code that will only work for your car and that one software version.

(Mods, please note that there is NOTHING PROPRIETARY about this discussion, OK?)

In my present case, I bought the DVDs with the 2011 nav software for $9 from BMW. (Indeed, $9 and change) I am on the hunt for the FSC process... Worse case I can buy it from a dealer for $200, online for $100 (so far)...

Oh, the FSC process also works for things like Sirius. Where you jsut need to turn on or load software.

Interestingly, most dealers are unaware that there is, in fact, an 'end user accessible process'. In other words, they will swear that "we need to load the maps in the shop, it costs $450".

But in fact, BMW designed a system that also uses DVDs and can be done without the dealership computer...

Of interest, the navigation maps I am looking at do not contain any kind of license, nor restrictions. One might think BMW is giving up on controlling the map data.... Is it permissible to hack the FSC process? I assume it is, given that it is on my car. And my car comes with EULA that restricts my use of the software on the car.

(PS all this discussion about hacking my own car is (1) not a violation of any law or agreement, and therefore not a violation of this forum's rules...and (2) recognizes such hacking will void the warranty, if detected.)

Anyway, my ramblings....

A

Sponsored Links