View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Xoutpost has disabled reputation
Sunroof gasket repair guide-wind noise/sunroof rattle

Contributed by: X5world

<B>
Sunroof gasket repair guide-wind noise/sunroof rattle

NOTE: THIS WAS WRITTEN FOR AN e38 BUT THE PROCEDURE SHOULD BE VERY MUCH THE SAME FOR AN e53

The job is very easy and it requires "the same skill" that you would use to wrap a birthday gift.

First, let's start with the gasket part. Get this (1), the label reads 54 12 8 169 710 (NOTE: e38 PART NUMBER - BE SURE TO GET THE e53 PART!). This is an updated part that has better sealing. I paid $30-ish at my favorite local BMW dealer with CCA discount.

The orange stripe protects the adhesive, so do not pull it till you are actually attaching the gasket.

Step 1. pull out the existing gasket. Just grap the end and start pulling it upwards (2). I didn't care too much, I ripped it out pretty hard. No damage done.

Remember where the gasket starts and ends, you will apply the new one in the same manner. The both ends should be the rear center of the sunroof lining.

Step 2. Clean out all the dirt/film-leftover from the old gasket, clean the general sunroof area.

Step 3. Take out your new gasket and match the length by comparing the length with the old one. I just cut the new one with a hobby knife. (mine was longer then the original gasket, so I had to trim it)

Step 4. Start slow and pull out the orange stripe as you attach the gasket (3). Try to line up the gasket as parallel as possible to the roof line, use your thumb (or other finger) as a line guide, start applying the gasket following the edge. Careful on corners, firmly apply pressure as you advance.

Step 5. I rubbed for 10 minutes or so on corners and closed the sunroof and let the car sit in a hot sun for a day. No more wind noise and sunroof rattle now.

By the way, if your sunroof is loose, this will not totally get rid of your rattle, you will have to adjust the sunroof position and tighten the side screws...

Hope this helps,

SSY

</B>

References:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/forum.php?postid=4115751&page=1

Sponsored Links