View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 PM

kevinkay is on a distinguished road
I was scared about doing this one, but its not that bad.
some things I want to add:
1. to pop the shaft, I used the tool that holds the springs togeather when you do struts, got it to hook on the vise grips-other end on the wheel opposite the brake caliper, twisted the nut to make it expand and the shaft popped out.
2. You need a LOT of towels, have a roll of paper towels
3. I pulled out the race and ball bearings, you will think your going to keep it stright what side is what, it gets all confused......the thin side of the track is the outside, the star will have the grove further inside.
4. when you put the race and star back in the cup you will fuss alot and think its not going back in, then all of sudden it just fits and rolls around perfect, you willl NOT need force, just keep trying-(took me about 10 min)
5. I did'nt need to hammer the shaft back in, I cleaned the groves with an old tooth brush, once i got the clip pushed in with a screw driver I just pushed the wheel in and heard that "click". I got all the new grease all over the shaft when trying to line it up and push in the clip, try to keep that area clean so you see whats going on.
6. I did the innner boot too. you will be shocked when the axle just falls out when you cut open the old boot strap.
7. You will need the tool to tighten the straps, I thought I was going to use my nippers-it did'nt quite get them tight enough, I took the bus (with my dog) to Advanced auto $9.00 for the tool
8. Yep, I read all this too and it does'nt really make sense untill you do it......

Sponsored Links