View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 AM

DanX5d is on a distinguished road
Hi X5ers, Guys and Gals?
I have the OEM 18's now fitted with the latest from GT Radial tyres ($290 each) and they are a good fit with the rim well protected by the overall width of the tyre plus it has a sidewall lip near the rim that is supposed to help. I will get some pictures up soon, but the wheels are already black from brake dust after my test runs to 160+ Km/h. The X5 is very stable given my test road is pretty rough in spots. No broken tarmac just lumpy, hence not much traffic. The road noise is much and I mean much quieter, the handling is sharper and the ride quality hasn't seemed to have suffered. It varies from better to occasionaly not depending on the road surface.

A few thoughts after 6 weeks ownership
a) Who ever programmed the sport S mode on the auto needs to be taken outside of the computer room and spoken too by someone who drives a car and not a joystick (pun intended). What a wasted opportunity. They could have focussed on operating in the diesel engine's maximum torque band, but no, lets rev the door handles off because that is sporty. Max acceleration is somewhere between 3/4 throttle and before the kick down switch is felt (not activated). I only use the sport mode when deaccelerating to stop the 'lurch' into 1st or when I have a tailgater and I smoke them out on full throttle kickdown!
b) Yes I can get the avg fuel consumption below 10L/100km for the tank, but it requires an extended driving interval above the 30 mins to work and back. Recently took a trip to Pakenham for the kids basketball and the beast averaged 7.5L/100km there and back which I was happy with. I noted that the L/100 is not that accurate. In fact it looks much better that it really is. Try calculating your fuel consumption from the odometer and the amount of fuel the bowser says and it can be as much as 8% higher in my car.
c) The GPS is a 2004 edition and that meant it thought I was driving through farm paddocks instead of the Packenham bypass. It kept asking me to do a U turn and the arrow pointed backwards with 5200m showing. Kept the kids amused!
d) Found a number of BMW parts sites in the US with very good prices on the cargo blind and safety nets I was chasing. Try 35% of the local dealer price from getbmwparts.com

Cheers, Dan

Sponsored Links