View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOX 3.2 View Post
The dealer told me the run flats could not be repaired, and new ones cost more than standard tires ($400-$600 depending on size, brand, etc),
is it true that they cannot be repaired ?

I got a third row seat, but I also ordered a separate regular spare, just in case.
I put it in a BMW tire cover and use it for long trips only. Texas is too big, and a BMW service tow truck can take hours to get to some places.
No, it is not true. They can be repaired depending on where the damage is, and also depending on how long/fast you drove on it when flat. If it is cut in the sidewall, it can't be repaired. But if it is damaged in the tread area, there is a combination of plug and inside patch to repair it, from the inside. The only reason it can't be repaired then is if you drove on it long enough to damage it from heat.

When I got a flat on one, I pumped it up, and monitored it, while I drove to a tire store. They inspected it, and were happy to fix it. The tire companies had issued instructions on how to repair them. That was about five years ago. Cost $40.

The dealer is not likely to be able to repair them, and besides, they make good money selling tire insurance.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links