View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho View Post
I would not be so sure about Dinan being supported by BMW.
They are an authorized aftermarket provider. But when the shit hits the fan, who will be left holding the bill??? .....

From the site:
Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages

What troubles me is "consequential damages"
this is NOT a factory BMW warranty. It is their own warranty that is the same length of time/mileage as the factory warranty.
and how about if you load the software and it destroys your engine after you hammer the truck for awhile. Who determines if it was "consequential damages" from the software???
It would be in their best interest to say it was caused by driver abuse and wash their hands of the situation.
I am not pointing fingers at any company as good or bad. I am just playing devil's advocate here. Anything could happen and nothing might happen. I might load this ESS tune tomorrow(yes, it arrived already!!!) and hammer it down the road and melt a piston or two. Hey shit happens. but if it does, I will not be at the mercy of the person who sold me a tune that ate my engine up. I will replace the stock config and have the dealer repair it.
It isn't a BMW warranty, it is a backing (mirror) warranty.

The best way to mitigate the risk is to buy the Dinan upgrade from the same BMW dealer you buy the vehicle from. That dealer is responsible for fulfilling both warranties. You get OTTC (One throat to choke). It isn't perfect, but it is better than throwing your powertrain warranty away and taking a chance, IMO.

Just a comment that replacing the stock config and claiming warranty (for the situation you describe above) is fraud. Manufacturers have gotten pretty good at detecting evidence of tunes.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links