View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 PM

335xray is on a distinguished road
Thanks Ard, I may PM you to get that info...

Here is the update so far.

Dealer has had the car now for 4 weeks and 1 day. Since my last post they have replaced several electrical relays which did not fix the problem, but when the truck stalled again, it went into limp mode which it had not done before and threw a hard code into memory. The dealer read the code which indicated the crank shaft position was faulty.

They felt this was some progress since no useful codes had been thrown so far which was one reason this was a PUMA case. They ordered the crank shaft sensor and got the truck ready to have it replaced (I guess it is an involved install). After it was replaced, instead of fixing the problem, it actually made it very difficult to start the car! BMW NA now wants the sensor replaced again to make sure it wasn't bad out of the box. If the sensor isn't bad, then they have been instructed to replace the reluctor ring sensor (sp?) which is on the fly wheel. This will be an even more time consuming install/fix since they have to drop the tranny to get to the fly wheel.

All-in-all, this will put us mid next week at the earliest or potentially into the week after for a fix. This will be well beyond the 30 days in the shop Ohio law requires for a lemon.

I have been speaking with the service manager and he has started the ball rolling with BMW NA for a buy back situation which out too much pressure from me which is nice. I have been trying to be as nice as possible during this situation understanding that which my service department may be doing the repairs, the ship is being steered by BMW NA.

I briefly spoke with the sales manager yesterday as well and while he told me he needs to speak with BMW NA on Tuesday, he thinks what will happen is a substitution situation. He orders me a new truck built very similar to our truck and it is substituted for our current truck in the lease. They essentially just change the VIN number on the lease and we finish out our lease terms with the new 2012 truck instead of the POS 2011.

I may see if we can alter the interior color or add a few options but I think I am ok with that option. It gets us back into a truck we like fairly quickly and we don't have to sign another 3 year lease.

Thoughts?

X

Sponsored Links