View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM
RetiredBum & Semi-RenaissanceMan

motordavid will become famous soon enoughmotordavid will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky Deluxe View Post
Haha, now you're confusing me again! I asked people about the run flat vs non run flat tyre malarkey a few weeks ago here. Couldn't really get a consensus obviously.

...I'll probably go for 19" alloys for the winter wheels. From what I've seen, 19 inch tyres only a little cheaper than 20 inch tyres, however, used 20" E70 alloys sell for a hell of a lot more than use 19" E70 alloys on eBay. Since the main use would be driving a lot of people in the car all the way to the Alps, the added comfort of 19" wheels would be useful too.

...If we had space for a spare wheel then I wouldn't hesitate in getting non RFTs.

19" non RFT winter tyres look to start at ~£150 each and 19" RFT winter tyres look to start at ~£265 each. So going non RFT could save me £460 odd. I can confidently change a tyre in a couple of minutes but I've never used a plug/patch kit or goo type thing.
That was my thought in pushing 19s over 20s, and non-RFTs over RFTs...in the end it comes down to your comfort factor/safety net needs, imo.

Though the underlying problem is getting a RFT replaced anywhere handy during travels other than 'front of the dlr', or at a large, big box tire store, that happens to have your tire size in stock...of course, the same holds true for non-RFTs in the bigger sizes. At least any decent tire joint could patch/plug either the RFT or non, to get you where you need to be, regardless of the 'don't patch/plug a RFT tire', imo.

The 'goo' is a last ditch effort, imo...I have never personally used it, but I have seen fellow riders use it on m'cycle tires to get them to a cycle shop.
It tends to wreak havoc on tpms and is often not adequate on the very large street car tires...the plug kit is cake, though still an outside/side of the road DIY deal; I have done/seen it done on both m'cycles and cars. But, maybe not fun on the side of a snowy alpine road.

NEway, good luck with your decision and hunt; sometimes a safety net is good comfort...I was not trying to dissuade you from big tires/ non-RFTs.

My opin on 'flats' in general is: have had maybe 2, 'on the road', in 46 yrs of driving; most are discovered in my driveway. Never had a blowout in all that time. And, even in the non-RFT Vette, I do not go out for a drive or, a trip wringing my hands about it. RFTs, aside from the performance discussion, are here to stay, but offer only a modicum of ability to get to a tire joint, or home. The lack of convenience/timely replacement problem for a RFT, has not really improved, at least here in the larger geographical sized Colonies.
BR, mD

Sponsored Links