View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Terry Kennedy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwhip View Post
back in the day they use to post links to nav software on the frontpage. anyone?
I think you're confusing the operating software with the map disc. The software (update disc) can be purchased at any BMW dealer for around US $8.90 or less (part number 01-59-0-141-891).

If you're on friendly terms with your BMW Service Advisor, you can probably get it loaded for free if your car is in the shop for something else.

The map data is a completely different situation - BMW and the map manufacturer both charge a substantial price for the map discs (US $199). The dealers aren't giving away current maps - the closest you may get is an out-of-date disc from a car they took as a trade-in.

You should purchase a set of genuine map discs - a number of the dealers that advertise in the back of Roundel, etc. offer parts discounts of 25% or more. Once you have a legitimate set of maps, you can probably find the instructions to add additional POI's here, or elsewhere on the net.

Note that the MK IV computer is very tempermental when it comes to DVD media (that's why the genuine maps are now on 2 single-layer DVDs instead of one dual-layer). So your copies may or may not work, depending on your particular MK IV drive, as well as how you burned them. It is nearly impossible to find 1X (only) DVD-R media and a 1X (only) burner these days, which seems to produce the best results. [I used to put a backup copy in the MK IV and keep the original in the glove box, since I've had discs damaged from the potholes around here. But copies no longer work reliably for me, so I use the original disc now.]

Sponsored Links