View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
Honestly, a 255/50/19 or a 255/55/18 would work much better than the 275's you are thinking of. A wider tire is MUCH worse in snow and ice. By choosing a narrower tire, you are putting more weight on the contact patch, creating more traction. The wider tires will try to float a bit more in the snow and ice. If you go way too narrow, performance (and looks) will start to suffer.
I fully agree with your comments on a narrower tire being somewhat better in deep snow, but it has nothing to do with the weight or the size of the contact patch. Since the vehicle weight is constant, I presume you meant more pressure on the contact patch, not weight. Any tire is going to have the same size contact patch, the contact patches will just be a different shape. A narrower tire will have a narrower leading edge to the contact patch, and the contact patch will be proportionally longer. The benefit with a narrower leading edge is that it is easier for it to climb up the snow when you are driving, as the snow 'wedge' in front of the contact patch is narrower.

This all matters less than it did years ago, as older winter tires drove more from the lugs on the side, and having a narrower tire meant more engagement from those lugs. Modern winter tires with advanced compounds drive more from the full contact patch, which is why we now see 20" winter tires.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links