View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Rez is on a distinguished road
The issue is not being able to go forward rather stopping in time, reliably and consistently

Quote:
Originally Posted by donho View Post
NO, none of my other SUVs used dedicated summer tires.
They all had M&S. I am saying that none of them had dedicated snow tires. The M&S were enough to brave even the blizzard(snowpocalypse) we had last year and I was driving highway speeds in the worst part of it around 1am. I was driving right past all the cars that were stuck, Infact they were slowing me down having to go around all of them.

I personally think a set of all seasons would be enough for this X5M to brave most conditions this winter. The problem is the low ground clearance. You get stuck in snow, when the snow depth reaches the lower chassis and your tires cannot reach pavement. in this truck, it will happen faster then most SUVs

Dont get me wrong, I am getting the DWS. Not only for snow, but I have been taking this truck off road to get to my bowhunting stand and I think the DWS will pull through the mud better then the summer RFT.
After driving with the summer tires I am pretty confident driving in the snow. But I know that with a set of DWS it will get me through better. Unless we get deep snow, then I do not think even a dedicated snow will even help due to low ride height

It turns out my buddy did not get through to his tire guy. I told him today to hold off. I will get them at the end of this month. he is doing them mounted and balanced on a road force for 1k.

Funny how I post how I drove my truck in the snow on summer tires and everyone is basically telling I am wrong/crazy for doing it??? I did it, It was a breeze and I will do it again if we get a freak snow storm again.
At least the guy from Northern NJ actually tried it, but he doesnt have an M. Do the non M's have the same Torque Distribution? because in my truck it was pretty amazing watching a single rear wheel show NO torque when pulling away in deeper snow, then regaining torque and losing it in the opposite side.
Its great to read articles, see scientific evidence and see manufactuer suggestions. But how many have actually tried it??

Sponsored Links