View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
I agree with everything ard said, especially point 2.

A small clarification on point 4:

If it is warranty, and if BMW is like many other manufacturers I have dealt with, they have the right to ask for the parts back from the dealer. They may or may not do so, depending on whether they are investigating something in particular, or whether they simply want to ensure that the parts are out of circulation for any reason at all. The dealer stores them until BMW asks for them, or provides a disposal instruction, up to a predetermined time limit (I have seen up to one year, depending on the manufacturer). If the dealer does not keep them (and the manufacturer does warranty audits at their discretion) then not only does the manufacturer have the ability to not pay the warranty claim (parts and labour) but they can go after all similar warranty claims at the dealership to determine if there was any padding going on in the claims process. Once a dealer has been burned in a warranty audit, they will become very focused on keeping the parts. That doesn't mean you can get hold of them, it just provides some background on where they might be.

Not knowing the background to the OP's situation, a question to the dealer as to whether the parts have been destroyed, or returned to the manufacturer, would be the first step.

BMW can use refurbished parts, but that is separate from the warranty claim system. Those are rebuilt cores, and such cores are obtained from service work. Think of a core as a glass pop bottle returned for refund, although that analogy is getting old now. For new designs of parts (where there are none in circulation to rebuild) the remanufacturing process will typically be seeded with new parts marked as rebuilt. The rebuilding process returns the parts to new specs, and they have a warranty. It is not the same as a backroom repair shop.

Hope that helps.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links