View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
This thread started January 2010 with some interesting comments about this product. Now that the product is in full swing it would be interesting to see some comments about it now.
I couldn't see the point two years ago. My X200 Thinkpad handled all my portable computing requirements just fine.

Flash forward two years. I got an iPad 2 32 gb (no 3g) for a Christmas present. It is a nice toy. I use it for reading blogs and forums, but not posting. The touch keyboard is too frustrating, and if I wanted to use a portable keyboard with it I would just use the laptop, since the advantages of the small form factor evaporate. I check hockey scores and news with a free app, check the weather using a free app, and do Sudoku puzzles. So it has partly replaced the daily newspaper, which we still subscribe to. It has been used for Facetime calls with family a couple of times, until we got tired of the novelty and went back to telephones. I use it as an e reader, and I like it for that, since it is backlit and I don't need a reading light on. I had my email set up on it, but have uninstalled that, it was too much trouble.

Pretty neat little device, and an elegant design, but it is one of four computers and three smart phones in the house, between two of us, so its use is really limited to those times I would otherwise be holding a newspaper, book, or magazine. I think of it as a uni-directional web appliance.

By coincidence, when I started a new job around Christmas I was issued an iPhone 4s, not that I asked for one. I had a perfectly good personal Blackberry Bold, and was used to it. The iPhone has represented a rather steep learning curve, but it works fine, is better for web surfing, and worse for phone calls. I don't have any reason to put music or photos on it, so those features don't matter to me. My 20-something daughter says it is cooler, so I guess there is always that.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links