View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 AM

PersonaNonGrata is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyoz View Post
Thanks Persona Non Grata,
And to all the others associated with this job. The part alone, in Oz, from a non BMW dealer was $250. The dealer then charges $180 per hour labour. Goodness knows what the final bill would have been for a dealer repair.
The only things I would add would be:

The outside lock cover does not have to be levered off (possibility of scratching or damage). It will separate, from the door, with the lock mechanism when the hex headed bolt is removed through the small opening on the rear edge of the door.

When peeling the inner door, foamy, panel off to get at the door innards, use a sharp knife to slice through the black, rubbery adhesive as you pull it away. This will save the foamy panel from ripping.
Thanks again,
Colin.
As always, I am so glad my little contribution has helped more members here.

Good tips as well. As an additional tip, the black adhesive used to glue the foam vapor barrier on is quite resilient. Instead of cutting it, which is perfectly effective, I used a heat gun to gently heat up the adhesive to peel it off. It can get a little messy but not bad. I use the heat gun to soften it back up to reattach the foam. Works well even after multiple time. I know this due to multiple door carriers and even more window regulator fixes.

Sponsored Links