View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 01:10 AM

TerminatorX5 is on a distinguished road
Next step is to obtain the power on ignition for the camera (another option is to power the camera once reverse gear is engaged) and obtain power for the left license plate light.
Power for the license plate light comes from the original source of that power from connector X1739. This connector has 4 wires –
1 – left license plate light
2 – trunk lid release button
3 – ground (brown wire)
4 – right license plate light (also feeds trailer module for parking lights for trailer)
In ideal situation I would have a small, 3” harness made for the male and female part of the connector where the pin 1 and 3 would have been tapped for the LED lights. Unfortunately, some of these connectors almost impossible to source thus I resorted to the soldering the taps. Since the tap is “T”, I could not use shrink wrap, so it was isolated by regular tape. The draw on the circuit by the LEDs is much less than regular lamp, so we are ok here. Nevertheless, the LEDs do set off the “Check Licplate Light” warning. This issue can be later rectified by the programming of the car.
Now would be a good time to restore the cut wiring for the camera – good thing is, the wires are colored, so there is no way to make a mistake. In this case I used the shrink wrap and the tape.
It is time to find a good source of power on ignition. After studying the schematics from the WDS, a connector X13057 from the rear wiper was identified. Pin 1 was ground (brown wire) and pin 13 is the power on ignition lead (red wire with black stripe).
The power lead for this camera has come integrated with a wireless video transmitter – I was not sure how well the wireless transmission will work but decided to give it a try before running cables all the way from the trunk lid to the bottom of the battery compartment. I tapped the power to the wireless module and connected the power and the video cable to the camera.
Before zipping everything, I tested the reception using the wireless receiver and a portable test monitor. The monitor had its own battery compartment, and I used a 9V battery to power up the wireless receiver. The reception was good next to the transmitter, so I walked around and actually went inside the house – the reception was excellent.
Now would be a good time to zip everything up and start wiring up the receiver to the TV module.

To be continued...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links