View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM

AzNMpower32 is on a distinguished road
A few pics from my Trip.....

....to Turkey last week!

Took a few days off work and spent a week with my mother in Istanbul. Also flew to Izmir and rented a vehicle, driving to Pamukkale (the automotive review will come shortly ). Pics not as fancy as mD's since they're all taken from my Nokia E6, but perhaps just a few quick snapshots will suffice.

Couple views of the Bosphorous Strait from the opening of the Black Sea at the Anadolu Kavagi.

The Bosphorus Bridge connecting the European and Asian continents

The Galata Bridge, busy with people and fishermen at all hours of the day.

Keeping the historical stuff short, the Hagia Sophia

and the Sultanahmet at night.

Finally, a proper breakfast.

Turkish cuisine is delicious and plentiful. I think döner is probably the best fast food ever invented. But in case one needs American food, there's plenty around.

Pamukkale, a huge calcium deposit near the city of Denizili. Yes, you are permitted to walk on it as long as your shoes are off.

The 3h drive back towards Izmir. The main motorways and divided hwys (like this one) are easy to drive. B-roads at night are a different story.....

Plenty of good music in the region. On a couple occasions, I did venture out to the bars. Got some live music in the suburb of Bakirkoy on my last night.

Sea of Marmara on the last day.

Overall, the country was as I expected: friendly atmosphere and terrific people. A mix of European and Asian cultures, with a real history and plenty of sights both old and new. I wish I could have spent a couple more days there. But hey, it's a short hop from Western Europe. Might just have to go there next time I want to buy a suit.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-26-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Sponsored Links