View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM

SlickGT1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
Normally, even stock 4.8 N62s have about 230-235 whp or like 330-335 bhp instead of 350 claimed bhp. I saw a dyno chart with 225 whp AFTER remapping. On the same dyno my 4.6is with Hartge headers cats delete and "sporty" resonators showed 242 whp with 95-100 hp driveline loss but immense 500 nm (368 lb fts) of tourque only at 2700 rpm, the N62 4.8 could acchieve only 440 nm or 325 lb ft.

In near future I'll put the cats back (because supercharged engine needs even more back pressure) and will do another measurement before supercharger installation.

Removal of resonator (or even both - muffler and resonator) on n/a engine will cost you a loss of another 20 whp, so the result will be a loud car wich sounds like 600 hp, having like 60-70 hp less, than manufacturers claim.

With very few back pressure you flush the cylinders with the fuel-gas mixture, so the burning process is wrong and also your cats won't last long due to very wet AND air-rich exhaust gases, which will burn in exhaust and not where they supposed to burn. The lambda sensors first will read wrong parameter and then also die, because of overheating.

If you considering of removing the parts of exhaust you have to correct the lambda values AND shift the lambda sensors further from the engine (but still it will be just a give a ball park action with very iffy result).

So IMO if you're considering a exhaust tuning the only appropriate way is to play with the muffler.
Amen to this. I've done all this exhaust screwing around on previous cars. Enough to realize that this is just noise, and nothing positive performance wise. Every time I did an exhaust mod, I had it dynod. I lost power every damn time. Only improvements you can get, is with big buck exhaust systems, that were tested, tuned, and dyno proven to show extremely mild results. Really not worth it. You wanna go faster, lose some weight. You want people to look at you go slow, screw with your pipes.

2017 F85 x5m, Black on Red. BEAST MODE

"The older we grow the greater becomes our wonder at how much ignorance one can contain without bursting one's clothes." - Mark Twain

Unlock OBC post 5

Sponsored Links