View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM

tynashracing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
It seems to me that using Ghandi's writings to justify gun ownership is the height of cowardice. It twists Ghandi's teachings to suit a narrow view.

"Ghandi pointed out three possible responses to oppression and injustice. One he described as the coward's way, to accept the wrong or run away from it. The second was to stand and fight by force of arms. Ghandi said that this was better than acceptance or running away. But the third way, he said, was the best of all and required the most courage: to stand and fight by non-violent means."

Full essay here: Mahatma Gandhi and His Myths (Gandhi, Civil Disobedience, Nonviolence, Non-Violence, Satyagraha)

So it appears that Alex Jones et al stopped reading partway through, and thus twisted the message. For some reason I am not surprised.
I don't see it as being twisted. I would prefer the third way as would most. However, there are violent people who wield violent weapons...I don't think the third way will work for those individuals/govt's/countries. Hence the reason for arms training.

Gandhi also said the following. Maybe you have commentary for it as well?

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Ghandi
"Gandhi, An Autobiography", M. K. Gandhi, page 446

I posed a question as to why people want to confiscate or limit guns. Anyone care to respond?

Sponsored Links