View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 AM

Green Dragon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Any idea on the difficulty of the install? DIY? Estimated hours at a shop? Would the whole center console need to removed? Just wondering as I would be very interested if this DIYable or minimal hours at a shop.. Either way it is exciting to finally see a mod / add-on for the e53!!
Most of the work is done from under the "SAV". Very little is done from the console that I can tell. If your mechanically inclined, I would totally do it. I'm gonna get a good look at it from the under-side to see if you can install it with out removing the transmission. My gut feeling is yes... but I'm doing mine during the clutch swap. No idea as to what shop time would cost ya. I'd ask an ind. shop in your area what they charge for reference.

Quote:
I've been wondering whether anyone has tried using original equipment shifters from other BMW models on their X5s; I know that for the e28, e32 & e34, the shifter from the Z3 is a popular alternative to aftermarket short-shifters. Provided the pivot ball and bushing where the shift rod connects to the selector rod is the same, I don't see why it shouldn't work. E28 Shifter FAQ - MyE28.com
The shift lever is pretty unique and different from other bmw shifters. Mostly it has a sharp kink above the pivot ball and has some longer sections, not saying you can't modify an exsisting shifter. Here's a link from realoem showing the shift assembly. RealOEM.com * BMW E53 X5 3.0i Gear shift parts,manual transm./4-wheel

I have thought about bending and modifying one of those solid aluminum shifters off ebay. Pretty cheap and you can use your existing shifter as a template......just with the longer section below the pivot ball....but UUC shifter package is simply amazing and the quality is second to none. I may try to build an "ebay" one for giggles and gaggles.

Quote:
YES.
And it pisses me off. It has nothing to do with the CDV. Its the stupid fly by wire throttle control and I haven't been able to find any way of fixing it.
Benvette, I know BMW came out with DME update (SIB 1220404) to address the "stumble" or "hole" in the throttle map. Mine was done in 2011. It helped a ton. You may want to look into that. The Jim Conforti Shark Injector reprogram sharpened the throttle right up and eliminated any residual lag of the fbw. I love my shark injector. I'm getting one for the wife's X3. Just a thought for you as well.

Also...check your disa valve---that can cause goofy stuff if that flap is well...flapping around.

Another thing that I will be doing is going away from the self adjusting clutch mechanism as I honestly think it can kinda kill that solid "connected" feel that these new BMW's don't have. Who cares if their clutch engagement point changed by a 1/2 inch over its lifetime. I have a good idea..."lets add complexity and a solution to a question that no one is asking!". My rant for the night...I gotta go study.
2005 X5 3.0, 6MT, Alpine White on Truffle Brown, Sport, Preim, and Cold Weather, Alpina Stainless Headers, AFe Intake, UUC SSK, OEM 87's, 3.64 Differential Swap,Performance Modified Euro 2 Tune, UUC LTW Flywheel and HD clutch, Bilstein B12 Suspension kit
Future mods ZHP/Schrick Cam Shaft upgrade, Operation code name:Doppelschrauben-Kompressor

Wife's Ride: 2011 e70 X5 351 M///Sport.

Also in the fold: 2004 X3 3.0, 6MT, Black Sapphire on Terracotta, port, Premium, Cold Weather.

Sponsored Links