View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM

90turbo1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by epdarks View Post
I've seen 200k BMW motors that are opened up and still have cross-hatching on the cylinder walls. Assuming your motor is toast is a bit silly. You have nothing to lose by starting the dis-assembly and evaluating your current motor.

To me there is no question... the M62 from the 540/740 should bolt up into the X5. I would be more worried about differences in the electronics and other systems that work to make the engine work. Beyond a little bit of DIY, there isn't any reason why the motor wouldn't work in an X5.

How many miles on the used M62?

WELL CONSIDERING THE VALVES AND PISTONS SMASHED INTO EACH OTHER, WHY WASTE MY TIME TAKING THAT MOTOR APART. Also if you have cross hatching on the cylinders of a M62tu then there is something wrong those cylinders were glass smooth when new.

but thats besides the point, the electronics is no different betweent he motors. I am only dealing with hard parts here.

both are vanos.

the new motor I found has 65k on it.

so with that said, it makes no sence to take that 216k motor apart and do a valve job, timing chain, valves, all gaskets (head really isthe only gasket that would not be touched) and risk a possible bottom end problem in a short while.

plus the down time of the car while all this is being done.

Sponsored Links