View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshin808 View Post
Why is applying anti-seize on the plugs NOT recommended? I thought the you're suppose to apply it so the plugs don't get stuck in there.
1) Too much gets on the electrode.
2) The effective heat range of the plug can be affected by the conductivity of the paste (plug to block)
3) The plugs already have an anti-seize coating. If it is a very old plug (black, no silver threads, no label indicating anti-seize) then this doesn't apply.
4) Anti-seize changes the effective torque spec. Lubricated threads reduce the friction, so the plugs go in further (against the crush washer) up to when you hit the torque spec. That means they sit lower, and the exposed end can get deposit buildup. That is what can cause seized plugs. If using a lubricant/anti-seize paste, then reduce the torque spec. There is a reason that all the torque specs are usually dry specs, though. BMW, most automakers, all the major plug manufacturers, all recommend not to use anything on the threads. Lots of home mechanics (and some professional mechanics) think they know better, though.

I leave them dry, I don't overtighten them, and I don't get seized plugs.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links