View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5SND View Post
Ricky, another year closer to the big 3-0 eh? (read: retirement, ).
I'm not sure as to why I have moisture problems either....BUT heres the good news. It may not have boiled off the lens since the water vapor was also mixed with fumes of the uncured sealant. After opening up the housings again, and leaving everything to cure (so I could cut it all off cleanly) there was an oily film on the glass the next day. Whether or not this contributed to my issues I couldn't say for sure.

I should mention that when I did those jeep housings, I was having moisture build up which was from a lack of ventilation in the housing (the factory venting system on those particular housings used the same membrane sticker as our fogs), and adding some vents remedied this.

I'm simply taking these setbacks in stride, as nothing is for certain when you start messing around with things like this! lol

As for the ballasts, I pulled off the bumper and tucked them right below the crash-bar bracket. They fit pretty much perfectly, and are completely out of the way.

T, the problem when you use a arc lamp in place of a conventional incandescent, the placement/length and shape of the hotspot changes. This produces an output that is not sharp, and thus not as "useable" as it would be if the projector was properly focused to match the light source in use.

More or less the result we're chasing (ignore the mess in the garage!):
Looks pretty close to perfection to me S.

And August 9 I will be turning 27, don't remind me that I have officially been a licensed driver for 10 years, it depresses me getting old lol. I wish I could retire at 30, I'll have to keep playing Mega Millions or hoping to get on Shark Tank lol!

Can you just clarify the above (the factory membrane bit in bold) as I'm not quite sure I follow you. I'm under the impression these housings are pretty well sealed as I don't see ventilation elbows like on our headlights, and you kept the back cap intact so I can only think that perhaps there was trapped moisture inside the housing and combined with the fumes from the sealant may have been an issue. Anytime I open up housings I try to keep them in similar temperature environments (i.e. don't go in a cold garage opening them up then bring them in a warm house) as sometimes the change in temperature/humidity traps some moisture inside which needs to be burnt off.

Keep me updated, I hope you have it figured out now. How hard was it getting those amp connectors apart? I should be able to get the red "locks" off with a pin/paper clip right?
82k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Sponsored Links