View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
No, I am holding the 25+ years of experience of my indy mechanic as evidence. As I said he worked for a local BMW dealer for 25+ years. In his experience he has not observed any correlation between changing the fluid and subsequent failure.

Likewise I have seen no supporting data anywhere to support this theory. If you've got some hard data I will be happy to take a look at it and reconsider. Until such time all we have are a number of anecdotes that form the "consensus". There could be any number of reasons for why a transmission failed after a fluid change. The most obvious being it was done incorrectly (which could be reason enoug to avoid doing it). It's not uncommon for work to be performed in an incorrect manner with problems as a result.
We've had this discussion many times before Sunny, and I am not out to change your mind. You have your mind made up. Fair enough. All of the posts that we provided to you documenting transmission failures post fluid change on past threads, you discounted as "probably a coincidence" and "anecdotal".

The outstanding question is, didn't you have to replace your own transmission valve body? You posted and described that in some detail back when it happened. I remember the references to your trusted independent mechanic, and a thread about your own transmission fluid change. I can't link to those discussions, because unfortunately the threads were subsequently edited. Perhaps they were leading to reader confusion about coincidences and anecdotes.

Any comment?

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links