View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM

sunny5280 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboGTR View Post
No one has asked for you to change your mind and no one is trying to convince you otherwise. Your opinion is your opinion and you are welcome to it. From what FORUM readers and FORUM techs have said, yes, doing a tranny fluid change on a worked out tranny heightens the risk of transmission damage. For your tech with 25+ years experience to tell you other wise is completely fine. But I will reverse your logic. You coming to the forum and telling us there is no substantial data to support the theory that a fluid change could possibly result in a failed tranny and that you have never seen supporting data is fine. Techs with years of experience have mentioned that this is possible and is a relevant concern. But... we haven't seen any data you have provided from your tech with 25+ years experience that proves the complete opposite. Supporting date could be an excel sheet listing all of the trannys he has done a fluid change on and how many have come back to thank him after another 50K, 75K, 100K miles of service and do another fluid change.
I don't have to. The burden of proof for a theory rest solely on the shoulders of those making it.

Quote:
The point JCL and I were trying to make was, it IS possible to damage a transmission by doing a fluid exchange. We have seen it happen on the forum and I am sure JCL has seen it during his career personally.
Anything is possible. All I ask is for you to support your theory with data. Not anecdotes from forum members where the details of the situation are varied and largely unknown.

Quote:
The statements you have made pertaining to your tech sound like absolute statements (Fluid changes do not cause transmission failures). And if your tech is saying that, then fine, we would actually love to hear that because it would stop the madness about doing and not doing a change of fluid and will give us a definitive answer. But until you can prove it, then its all relevant.
I don't have to prove anything. The burden of proof lies on those making the claim changing the fluid can lead to problems. I'm receptive to that theory and merely ask for supporting data, not anecdotes.

Quote:
There are forum members that have done a fluid change without any problems. Some have even used fluid that isn't even the spec it calls for and they are still fine. Bust some have had the service done at their shop or at the dealer and they have come back with a trashed tranny.
The fallacy being the transmission fluid change was the cause of the trashed tranny. Until data supporting the cause of the failure was related to changing the transmission fluid is provided it could merely be coincidence. Or, and this seems more plausible, the fluid change was done incorrectly.

Quote:
On another note, thats great your tech has had numerous roles, is a shop owner, and is 25+ years in. Thats really great and is probably a wealth of knowledge. But in my honest opinion... the power of the forum is better than any tech on his own. A forum is a collaboration of tried and true methods, fixes, and symptom hunting. I mean there have been countless times when members have come to the forum describing a symptom that their tech or dealer couldn't figure out, and 9 times out of 10 we've come up with the right solution. There is information on here that some dealerships haven't even heard of, "i.e. TSB numbers, tricks, tips, etc" Heck, members have even designed and manufactured their own parts that are better than original. So before regarding information on forums as mere heresay, you might want to add in your own "one hitter quitter" to back up your own claim. JCL and I have seen it many times on the forum here. We've witnessed heated arguments going back and forth between the advantages, disadvantages, turmoils, which fluid to use, etc. Information that you mentioned you have seen. Well, we haven't seen any of yours...
My tech is now the owner of his own business. While he does work on vehicles from time to time he has other people doing the work for him. Where his 25 + years experience comes into play is having worked at a BMW dealership. He's seen more than his fair share of BMW vehicles prior to starting his own business.

Quote:
Again, not going meaning this to challenge you, or get into an argument, or the flame each other. But... just sayin...
Say what you will. My participation in this thread was not to argue the merits of changing the transmission fluid or not. It was to state that having a consensus doesn't really mean much without supporting data. After all at one time the consensus was the earth was flat.

Sponsored Links