View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 AM

sarends is on a distinguished road
conedoctor,

I have had many turbo vehicles, but this is my 1st BMW turbo. I am very well acquainted with turbo lag, and can accept it and deal with it given the other advantages offered by turbo motors. However, what I am describing with my 5.0 is different - it is a peculiar difficulty controlling the throttle while beginning from a stop or from very low speeds. While pushing the accelerator pedal I find my brain going into uber concentration mode in an attempt to accelerate at "just the right amount" that I am looking for in a given circumstance. Does this make sense? In my other vehicles I can accelerate from a stop (perhaps) with 15 or 20 different degrees of acceleration: 1 = super super slow 2 - same as #1 except after I get going I go about 10% after. 3 = 20% faster to start and then super super slow. There is an almost infinite number of variations on this all the way up to "pedal to the metal". I don't feel the 5.0 allows for the variations of takeoff that I have on other vehicles I have owned. And, in rode to get it to takeoff reasonably close to the degree of acceleration I want I have to put forth an unusual amount of concentration and foot finesse.

I feel like I need to exaggerate what I am experiencing beyond the reality in order to fully describe it, so please don't think it is just quite as bad as I describe.

When the vehicle is moving at speed I believe the problem is still there except the "twitchiness" is masked/subdued by the speed of the vehicle.

I did the throttle reset suggested in another thread here, and I think this may have helped a bit (not sure as I haven't driven enough yet - just did it yesterday).

Don't get me wrong I LOVE my 5.0 - it is a fantastic vehicle - I am describing the one thing I am just not thrilled with about the car.
1997 BMW M3 Sedan
1995 BMW 540i 6 Speed

Retired:
2008 Acura MDX (good car - yawn)
2002 M5 (I will miss this car forever)
1999 M3 (fun car X2)
1992 325IS DINAN (fun car)
1987 325IS (fun car)
1986 325IS (fun car)

Sponsored Links