View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 PM

X5ists is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heckenj View Post
I wanted to share something I did before the holidays. My 2007 E70 X5 3.0si developed the dreaded ZF Mechatronic leak at the back of the transmission. Being pressed for time, instead of dropping the pan and replacing the sleeve, I looked around for a quick fix I could come up. I'd like to share what I did:

Jack the vehicle from the back so the vehicle tips forward.
Cleaned the area around the Mechatronic connector VERY well with spray cleaner/degreaser.
I used a product from Permatex that is a flowable Silicone made for sealing leaks around windshields. I used a piece of hose attached to the application tip so I could apply the sealant to the top of the Mechatronic sleeve. I put and ample amount to let it run down and fully seal around the connector.
I let it dry overnight without moving the vehicle so it could fully cure.
I did not lose alot of transmission fluid, but if you did, you'll need to top off the transmission with the proper fluid.
That's it....

It's been holding now for a solid month with no leaks. I don't really think this is a permanent fix, but since I didn't have the time to order the parts and do the job correctly now I think this might help someone get by in a pinch.

Down the road I'll install the new part and finish this off correctly, but this seems to be a common problem on any ZF transmission of this year so it affects Jag's, BMW, Range Rover, etc. I also wonder if replacing with a factory part will result in another change being required in 5 more years?

Well see how long this holds -I ordered the correct part as insurance! I hope this helps.
I just wondering why didn't you buy a new mechatronic sleeve from the dealer, and just replaced it?? You'll be spending the same dollar and most importantly time. The new part only cost less than $30....but the time and work, plus the transmission oil will cost even more. I did mine few months ago, since I am in there I replaced the transmission oil on and filter plus flushing the most of the oil. Just my 2cents

2013 Nissan Juke Nismo AWD
2011 Mini CooperS Countryman ALL4
2007 ML63 AMG
2007 X5 4.8i Sports, Active Drive, Rear Entertainment
2007 Acura MDX SH AWD Elite Package
2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey iAWD
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
2003 Infiniti FX35 AWD Tech Package
2001 Subaru WRX
1999 Subaru Forester S
2003 Toyota Matrix XR AWD

Sponsored Links