View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Premier Member

bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtvboy View Post
Just finished changing out to a new set of NGK 4 prong/platinum plugs from the NGK single prong Iridium. Plugs were a perfect light gray/white with typical black around the threaded edge. Cleaned a few things put it all back together and the darn thing drives sweet. Accelerates through the gears flawlessly, stomp the pedal and it takes off smoothly. NO jerks, jams or junk. Stopped at the light and bingo, that dam vibration. Got home, crawled under the car, PRND but no movement with the brake. SO, I twisted the front drive shaft a quarter turn until it wouldn't turn anymore, and back and forth a few times, sure enough the trans axle works fine - twisting the rear shaft perfectly with each turn. While running I could feel no vibration in the front drive shafts or the tranny.
BUT something is vibrating the heck out of this engine. BTW, sprayed half a can of carb spray all over the intake area and around the injectors. No change in idle. I can't find a vacuum leak if there is one. I am completely baffled. BTW, this thing burns no oil. I used a pint during my last 835 mile trip to and fro Atlanta and averaged 22 mpgs.
IF it is the vanos, what type of noise should it be making if it's damaged? THe only thing I hear from this engine is the typical BMW injector tap, no rattles,no loud winning , just sweet exhaust note when I accelerate. Ideas? I really don't want to take it to the dealer.
Carb cleaner doesn't always find a vacuum leak. a pressurized smoke test is best route. Have you checked for error codes? Do I understand correctly that you can feel the vibration when transmission is in park and neutral?

Sponsored Links