View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 PM

ZetaTre is on a distinguished road
PART 2

I guess I'll go on and use this thread to document this project: here's the execution.

I think a good approach is to stage the filtration: I figured I'll have a first layer of low density media, a second layer of higher density, and maybe a third layer. At the top I'll have a stainless steel baffle to hold the media in place, provide further oil separation and actually create sort of an air gap between filtering media and the exit.

Now comes the fan part... I was at Lowe's and I think I've found what I thing is a great media: 3M stripping & finishing pads (basically the same material that the Old Navy PCV used, so it's tested to work in these conditions).

For Stage 1 I bought 3M Heavy Duty Stripping pads, while For Stage 2 I bought 3M Final Finishing pads.

The Stage 3 I'm still not sure if I'll have it, but here's what happened. Before I started going down the current route, I was looking at adding an external oil separator so I went ahead and bought a Mann Provent 200. It looks like this:

As you can see inside there is a filter. I haven't received it yet, but the idea is to look at possibly unraveling the media from the filter and use it as Stage 3... Since I haven't got a chance to dissect it yet, I don't know if it's big enough; maybe it can even be the only stage I'll use, but then I'll have to figure out a way to hold it in place. Anyhow, I guess that would be considered for the next sprint...

Last part is the baffle.

At a closer look to our CCV assembly I noticed on the inside a sort of groove (highlighted in the second picture) that would work perfect to hold the baffle at a certain distance from the outlet. This would create an air gap between the filter and the outlet allowing for possibly better flow.

For the baffle, I'll go to Bed Bath and Beyond today in search of a perforated pan to cut out: they come in different shapes and sizes so I hope to find something that serves the purpose: https://www.google.com/search?q=perf...h=600#imgdii=_

Last edited by ZetaTre; 05-30-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsored Links