View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Doru is on a distinguished road
The only "serviceable" CCV would be the Mann-Hummel one, which costs a tad more. The issue I have with it, are these 2:
  1. Where would you mount it? if you mount it in the same spot the OEM CCV is located, it defeats it's purpose - you can't clean the filter element, because it's not accessible. To mount it somewhere else, you get into the intricacy of plumbing. What I mean by that, sure it's easy to place it somewhere around the left strut mount, but routing the vent hoses might be an issue if you will work down the road on an unrelated issue.
  2. Looking at the valve, it seems like it's very similar to the OE one. If this is the case, they would last similarly time-wise. Here is a link, where they have a dissected view - you might need to scroll to find it.
Here is a pdf brochure of these filters. You need the Provent 150.

Having the mayo visible on the dipstick or on the oil cap is not good. When you see it one has 3 alternatives:
  1. Once you reach operating temps, put the car in tiptronic, and downshift, driving close to 3000 rpm's for 10-15 mins (do 2-3 stints). This is if you don't have a highway close by, and you're stuck in city driving (you won't break the speed limit)
  2. Warm her up, then do an oil change. This is if the above method has failed, due to a high mayo contamination of the CCV - the mayo "might" not come out, but it's an honest effort to chase it out with some fresh oil. Chance are 50/50 (my theory)
  3. Do nothing and pray you will be OK (slim chances).
The quick warm-up method works best, combined with tiptronic downshifting and driving at higher rpm's. This can be during the work-home commute, no problem. And you don't have to do it every day.

Sponsored Links