Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   Australia Forum (https://xoutpost.com/regional-forums/australia-forum/)
-   -   Power upgrade 3.0d & xdrive30d (https://xoutpost.com/regional-forums/australia-forum/74649-power-upgrade-3-0d-xdrive30d.html)

Ninja 07-28-2010 12:00 AM

Power upgrade 3.0d & xdrive30d
 
Could some please confirm whether there has been a power upgrade from the '07 X5 3.0d (160kW) to '08-'09 X5 xdrive30d (173kW)?

I note that the new LCI X5 xdrive30d now comes with 8 speeds and they tweaked the engine to 180kW.

Is the power upgrade noticable at all in terms of fuel saving and performance gain?

Thanks
Leon

Fraser 07-28-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja (Post 758385)
Could some please confirm whether there has been a power upgrade from the '07 X5 3.0d (160kW) to '08-'09 X5 xdrive30d (173kW)?

That's correct. It came with the introduction of the 50ppm of sulphur diesel-fuel standard in Australia, I believe.

Ninja 07-28-2010 04:21 AM

thanks mate. does it mean the first generation E70 3.0d are fitted the same engine as the E53 3.0d? (given they have the same power 160kW and torque)

Fraser 07-28-2010 04:29 AM

No. Original E53 3.0d had 135kW/390Nm and the post 2004 facelift E53 had 150kW/480Nm.

Ninja 07-29-2010 07:34 AM

alright then..i presume there are no major differences for the twin-turbo diesel - i.e. the 3.0sd and the xdrive35d?!?

Fraser 07-29-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja (Post 758681)
alright then..i presume there are no major differences for the twin-turbo diesel - i.e. the 3.0sd and the xdrive35d?!?

There's a slight power and torque difference, again due to the upgraded diesel fuel standard I believe. The 3.0sd was quoted at 200kW/565Nm while the 35d is 210kW/580Nm.

Ninja 07-30-2010 12:24 AM

i test drove the Xdrive30d and xdrive35d back to back recently...only noticed a slight improvement on power, more so on the initial startup...once you've got the car running on 2nd/3rd gear, its about the same.

i have yet to drive the new xdrive40d and LCI xdrive30d though.

anyone able to share their experience?

Fraser, you are an expert on X5!

Fraser 07-30-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja (Post 758893)
i test drove the Xdrive30d and xdrive35d back to back recently...only noticed a slight improvement on power, more so on the initial startup...once you've got the car running on 2nd/3rd gear, its about the same.

i have yet to drive the new xdrive40d and LCI xdrive30d though.

anyone able to share their experience?

Fraser, you are an expert on X5!

I've had a really good back to back drive of the pre-LCI 30d and the 35d. As you say the 35d is a little stronger off idle but it also has more high-rpm power that you notice when overtaking at highway speeds at full throttle. The 35d also likes to rev a bit more and continues to make good power after the 30d is tapering off. You really only notice this when you have both tapped out on the open road. The 30d is still a great engine but the 35d is better again. Whether it's worth the extra money is still debatable and with the new LCI is only an academic argument unless you are buying second-hand although I guess there may be a few new pre-LCI models still at dealers.

Ninja 07-30-2010 06:22 AM

yeah we are in the market for a used E70 X5 diesel as a spanking new LCI is out of our budget. currently tossing between a I6 diesel or the twin turbo diesel, thanks for your feedback mate.

Fraser 07-30-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja (Post 758932)
currently tossing between a I6 diesel or the twin turbo diesel, thanks for your feedback mate.

I don't think that you'll be disappointed by the performance or economy of either. I think if I were in your shoes I'd keep the options open both ways and see what comes up ... always an element of luck when shopping second-hand but it does make a lot of good sense, budget wise.

Good luck!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.