Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   Navigation System (https://xoutpost.com/electronics/navigation-system/)
-   -   Unacceptable V27 issues. (https://xoutpost.com/electronics/navigation-system/12728-unacceptable-v27-issues.html)

trapdoor 03-16-2006 03:31 PM

Unacceptable V27 issues.
 
I have responded to another thread about this but feel it may warrant its own thread, particularly if people find any other issues or problems with the new release. The original post title is possibly a bit misleading.

As reported by 'durbrain' it appears that the right-hand information pane now no longer displays suburbs or minor towns/villages as the current location, but now displays the nearest major city or large town.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it not a widespread issue? Personally, I don't find this issue too clever, and am going to 'downgrade' to V26-3D-Final (the version I have been running very successfully since it was released).

As an example - this evening I took a trip to a largish town called Portishead. It is in the South West of the UK. It is bordered by Bristol (and has BS postcodes), Clevedon and Weston-super-Mare (which also have BS postcodes). Whilst driving up the M5, I passed Weston and Clevedon which showed up on the info pane, pulled off the Motorway at Clevedon and travelled to Portishead. As I approached the town (it is a largish town too) the nav display changed to Bristol.

Not too useful, particularly as if you got stranded somewhere you didn't know and had to call the rescue services, how can you give the correct street name? :tsk:

Am I being a bit 'picky' or should I expect the system to be at least as useful as before the upgrade, not less useful?

Anyone's thoughts on this?

UCrewX5 03-16-2006 04:19 PM

It might be a somewhat "local" issue, as I didn't notice any difference with the areas I travel here in the U.S. :dunno:

That said, I also went back to the V26-3D version so that I could have Perspective capabilities while in Pointing North mode.

spud 03-16-2006 04:53 PM

so do you think we shouldnt do the upgrade at all?

trapdoor 03-16-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud
so do you think we shouldnt do the upgrade at all?

I can't really say - depends if it is a widespread issue and it is important to you. Not sure exactly how it works in the US, but it seems like Australian users have the problem too.

For me, I like to know where I AM, not where I am 'near' - the difference between (in my example) Portishead and Bristol is some 20+ miles. If I gave a road name to say a breakdown company that was in Portishead, but read it off the Navi (which says Bristol), they would either not find a road with that name or (worse) find a road say for example Acacia Avenue (common road name in the UK :rofl: ) in Bristol and then go to the wrong place. Lets face it, you use the Navi in anger when you don't know where you are!

The old way it used to work was to kind of abbreviate - so it would have said B. Portishead - I knew this to mean Bristol/Portishead whereby the near major town/city was abbreviated.

I have just downgraded to V26-3D Toggle - not been for a drive yet but will see if it has restored it back to the old type display.

CortinaD 03-16-2006 08:51 PM

I have to use the Information then Destinations at Location to find out the suburb im in. Im going to see if the dealer here will put code my car with Toggle3d and if not i will get them to do Version 25 so I can upgrade to Toggle3d

trapdoor 03-17-2006 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CortinaD
I have to use the Information then Destinations at Location to find out the suburb im in. Im going to see if the dealer here will put code my car with Toggle3d and if not i will get them to do Version 25 so I can upgrade to Toggle3d

Has downgrading to V26 resolved the problem? I put the old version back on late last night and haven't been for a drive yet so don't know if it has fixed it. Are you saying it needs a recode before the problem is sorted?

55JWB 03-17-2006 04:37 AM

Guys,

To save me trawling through many posts, can someone point me to the V26 Final with toggle function that you are talking about??

Thanks

Jason

gavP 03-17-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapdoor
I can't really say - depends if it is a widespread issue and it is important to you. Not sure exactly how it works in the US, but it seems like Australian users have the problem too.

For me, I like to know where I AM, not where I am 'near' - the difference between (in my example) Portishead and Bristol is some 20+ miles. If I gave a road name to say a breakdown company that was in Portishead, but read it off the Navi (which says Bristol), they would either not find a road with that name or (worse) find a road say for example Acacia Avenue (common road name in the UK :rofl: ) in Bristol and then go to the wrong place. Lets face it, you use the Navi in anger when you don't know where you are!

The old way it used to work was to kind of abbreviate - so it would have said B. Portishead - I knew this to mean Bristol/Portishead whereby the near major town/city was abbreviated.

I have just downgraded to V26-3D Toggle - not been for a drive yet but will see if it has restored it back to the old type display.

Think this maybe because of further integration with post codes ? Notice from Autoroute that Portishead has BS post codes.

Mine has changed too, used to give the nearest village, now has the post town, will persevere with it as is for a while before deciding.

CortinaD 03-17-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapdoor
Has downgrading to V26 resolved the problem? I put the old version back on late last night and haven't been for a drive yet so don't know if it has fixed it. Are you saying it needs a recode before the problem is sorted?

not saying it needs a recode, the only reason im getting a recode is because my cars going to be there already to see if bluetooth can be coded and i thought i would get them to code it so my service screen reads the vin etc (and that darned accept screen back)

DoctaM3 03-17-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCrewX5
It might be a somewhat "local" issue, as I didn't notice any difference with the areas I travel here in the U.S. :dunno:

That said, I also went back to the V26-3D version so that I could have Perspective capabilities while in Pointing North mode.

What? if you upgrade to V27, then downgrade back to V26, you still keep perspective mode? Or did i misunderstood you. When you downgraded, was it to the beta version of V26.09a or whatever that was?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 PM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.