Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   Angel Eye Bulbs (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/109903-angel-eye-bulbs.html)

BigBody 03-14-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalworks (Post 1157423)
Agreed. Much prefer LED to OE lighting. Mine are brighter and of course are instant off/on. More modern looking.

Also agree LEDs are brighter & look crispier.
Regarding OEM color, I have the cree array (the one with 16 LEDS & the magnifying glass).
It looks close to oem, but I think they color shifted.
One of the guys at the last east coast meet told me they look green compared to his :rofl:

Im not too sure though im sort of colorblind :cool::cool::cool:

lkv0315 03-19-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowz (Post 1157400)
Found this for under $12

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-4Diagnos....c100005.m1851

I cant promise this is perfect since I just googled it and found it on ebay.

So i was wondering, what would the reprogramming do? and could I reprogram it so that I don't have to rewire? Like changing the programming so that when I have no lights on, the halos are on, or will I just have to change it so that the normal DRL lamps are disabled?

wpoll 03-19-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkv0315 (Post 1157922)
So i was wondering, what would the reprogramming do? and could I reprogram it so that I don't have to rewire? Like changing the programming so that when I have no lights on, the halos are on, or will I just have to change it so that the normal DRL lamps are disabled?

You cannot simply code what you want. You can code the current DRLs off but you cannot code the angel eyes to work as DRLs. To that requires either re-wiring or the use of a software solution like the iBus app running on an android head unit, which can be set to turn on the angel eyes as DRLs.

mr_robot 03-19-2019 05:50 PM

iBUS app is the only way to turn them on automatically with ignition on without physically tapping rewiring the car.

What sucks about that is that our halo bulbs are inside the housing under the cover unlike the e39 where the connectors are exposed out side.

BMW never designed our halos to be DRL as they aren't bright enough so legally they couldn't have so there's no coding for it.

iBUS doesn't code the car but runs them only when the app is running.

wpoll 03-19-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalworks (Post 1157423)
Agreed. Much prefer LED to OE lighting. Mine are brighter and of course are instant off/on. More modern looking.

Seems like everyone loves the LED angel eyes but since I really like the OEM look and colour, I've never considered changing them to LED.

Anywho, I've just have yet another AE bulb failure - I think it's the fifth or sixth failure in four years. The 12v 10W BA9s bulbs only last about 250 hours (10,000km) and while they are cheap enough (around $10 each), I'm getting sick of changing them.

So rather than chuck in the standard LED replacement the most folk seem to use, something like this: -

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/gra...0BULBS_400.jpg

I'm going to pop a couple of these in, just for S&Gs...

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1fycKa...aX.jpg_q50.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/hlxg...954566661.html

These things are 5W, 10-14v, non-polarised (must contain a bridge...), put out 500 lumens @ 6,000K and are good for 50,000 hrs. And hopefully they don't get too hot!

I don't expect them to be as bright as the regular "cree" units and I know I'll have to code out the hot and cold monitoring but for less then $10 shipped for the pair, I figure it's worth a try - just to see.

crystalworks 03-19-2019 08:10 PM

Wayne, those will be just as bright as the Cree units most likely. The light piping limits the output anyway. If they are quality bulbs you shouldn't have to replace anytime soon. Welcome to the > 3000k color temp club. ;)

In that quote I was referring to the led vs tungsten/incandescent/halogen signal lighting but I do prefer the whiter color of the led rings as well. The heart wants what the heart wants right?

lkv0315 03-22-2019 03:23 PM

Help
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalworks (Post 1157945)
Wayne, those will be just as bright as the Cree units most likely. The light piping limits the output anyway. If they are quality bulbs you shouldn't have to replace anytime soon. Welcome to the > 3000k color temp club. ;)

In that quote I was referring to the led vs tungsten/incandescent/halogen signal lighting but I do prefer the whiter color of the led rings as well. The heart wants what the heart wants right?

Okay so the lights that I ordered, just came in, but I have no idea what most of this is, someone help!
https://ibb.co/gjp7thk If image doesn't work, link is here: https://ibb.co/gjp7thk

mr_robot 03-22-2019 03:59 PM

Looks like the resistor and the control module for the lights to change the colors. You got the RGB lights version?

crystalworks 03-22-2019 04:14 PM

Wow... I give all of that a 6 month life span in an under-hood environment. It looks like they might have provided just enough of an extension for you to get the control box into the area by the brake booster. Still not ideal, but better than in the engine bay I suppose. Unless that extension is just the one that goes from one headlight over to the other... then it looks like they expect you to install all of that into the headlight itself.

Should be interesting. Keep us updated. Just start plugging things in and give it a good test before you install everything into the car.

lkv0315 03-22-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalworks (Post 1158191)
Wow... I give all of that a 6 month life span in an under-hood environment. It looks like they might have provided just enough of an extension for you to get the control box into the area by the brake booster. Still not ideal, but better than in the engine bay I suppose. Unless that extension is just the one that goes from one headlight over to the other... then it looks like they expect you to install all of that into the headlight itself.

Should be interesting. Keep us updated. Just start plugging things in and give it a good test before you install everything into the car.

Where is this brake booster you mentioned? I'm trying to run some of it, but I don't know how to avoid things that will melt the wires.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.