Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   Question about ATF fluid (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/110730-question-about-atf-fluid.html)

raydhimitri 08-26-2019 11:11 AM

Question about ATF fluid
 
Hey Guys,

I had to tow my x5 to the mechanic becouse the tranmission oil cooler failed and another water hose that goes under webasto(heater) blew!

He took out of my tranmission around ( 4l ) becouse the rest got mixed with coolant. The atf oil that was inside tranmission was not dark but light red that means it was really good oil !

Long story short after fixing everything he had to add extra 3 - or 4 liters of atf oil. I noticed that the kind of oil he used was not red but transparent , i took a photo of the box so i could here if it is ok to use(or mix) this kind of oil with the red atf :dunno:

I have zero issues with my tranmission till now , however i want to be sure that it is ok.

Pics of the oil

1.https://i.imgur.com/HMwYJPD.jpg
2.https://i.imgur.com/yHT08T1.jpg
3. https://i.imgur.com/I0fNOEF.jpg

PS: This one the most expensive oil (17usd per l), the rest of the oil were cheaper then this one.

upallnight 08-26-2019 11:20 AM

It would help if you posted what type of transmission you have. Dexron is used on the 3.0 liter engine X5 with the GM trans and ZF transmission fluid is used on the V8 engine X5 with the ZF trans. Who know what they use for the diesel engine X5.

EODguy 08-26-2019 11:20 AM

I don't think so but that stuff is made for the market in Turkey and isn't allowed for use in the EU. And no matter what I would have had it completely drained and flushed so that there's no mixing of different fluids especially since you said it was contaminated from the coolant disaster. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...01a49d1070.jpg

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

raydhimitri 08-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upallnight (Post 1167865)
It would help if you posted what type of transmission you have. Dexron is used on the 3.0 liter engine X5 with the GM trans and ZF transmission fluid is used on the V8 engine X5 with the ZF trans. Who know what they use for the diesel engine X5.

I have GM tranmission 5 speed. It was modified to fit my x5 (3.0d) becouse they took it from 5 series (530d) 2002 - 2003!

raydhimitri 08-26-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EODguy (Post 1167866)
I don't think so but that stuff is made for the market in Turkey and isn't allowed for use in the EU. And no matter what I would have had it completely drained and flushed so that there's no mixing of different fluids especially since you said it was contaminated from the coolant disaster. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...01a49d1070.jpg

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply , im not sure how they import it in Albania (im from Albania) ! There was oil in coolant and no coolant in oil.

The oil that he took out of tranmission was really clean and he said there is no reason to change it.

Im just worried that he mixed different oil colors , is that an issue?

EODguy 08-26-2019 11:46 AM

I see it also says use in Russia so I guess your suppliers get it from the same distribution company.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

raydhimitri 08-26-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EODguy (Post 1167871)
I see it also says use in Russia so I guess your suppliers get it from the same distribution company.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk


This kind of fluid is compatible with gm tranmissions?

EODguy 08-26-2019 11:56 AM

As for mixing fluids I would have less fear about it if you were just adding more of the same.

It's never a good idea to mix different types and sometimes even mixing brands is bad as they may form a different viscosity (heavier/lighter) than what's acceptable. Compared to the cost of a transmission rebuild or replacement a complete fluid change is cheap as hell.

I'm not 100% sure that it's acceptable because I really don't know the exact model of 5 speed yours is. Sorry [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

EODguy 08-26-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raydhimitri (Post 1167872)
This kind of fluid is compatible with gm tranmissions?

It is compatible with some GM transmissions but I am not 100% sure if it is fine for your transmission.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

bcredliner 08-26-2019 12:27 PM

IMO mixing doesn't matter if the fluid meets the specifications of your transmission but I don't think it is the best practice. At least in some years there is a sticker on the bottom of the transmission pan. That said, I would have taken the opportunity to completely drain the transmission and replace the fluid as I do every 50,000 miles even though BMW says it is lifetime fluid. I use the OE fluid.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.