Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   Extreme cold = low oil pressure ? (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/114064-extreme-cold-low-oil-pressure.html)

Takimo 01-11-2022 09:05 AM

Extreme cold = low oil pressure ?
 
So today is -23C here in montreal, i made a valve cover job a few month ago so no more oil smell since then. but today after driving a few minute a burning oil smell came... then i went home and the car suddenly shut down, i restart it and it didnt start.. i then start and press gas at same time and it start... could it be oil pressure .. or it have something to do with extreme cold ? that make something go wrong with valve cover , then oil leak, and then low oil pressure ?


EDIT: before i did the valve cover job, everytime is around -20C the car would never start , i went threw this situation a few time.. (battery wasnt the problem)


i suspect the same situation happen today... oil leak + too cold = low pressure ?



it seem like when its too cold (-20C), something blow the valve cover valve and make it leak, does it make sense ?

ahlem 01-11-2022 10:50 AM

Could be your CCV system is involved. Have you done any maintenance there?
If you get the car to a warm garage does the situation change? Cold weather always seems to bring up issues that weren't issues when it was warmer.
I'd also check fuel pressure and vacuum leaks. Lots of o-rings and gaskets shrink or get more brittle when it's cold.

Takimo 01-11-2022 11:11 AM

-yeah i did the ccv during winter a couple year ago, and didnt notice any difference at the time between the before/after lol...


when i use to have valve cover oil leak , the car wouldnt start at -20C but if i wait couple days when its warmer around 0 it would start like a charm...


i dont have tool to check pressure, i guess i have to make a tour to a garage, i hope its not the valve cover gasket.. as i just did it during spring... but i guess the chance are here since i smell a burning smell ... only today since the repair

nick325xit 5spd 01-11-2022 11:15 AM

If a car stops running due to low oil pressure, the engine is usually fucked at that point. So the short answer is if it restarted, I doubt low oil pressure is your issue.

It sounds like in extreme cold, you're running into gaskets failing and causing a vacuum leak. Which would cause the engine to die.

Takimo 01-11-2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd (Post 1215845)
If a car stops running due to low oil pressure, the engine is usually fucked at that point. So the short answer is if it restarted, I doubt low oil pressure is your issue.

It sounds like in extreme cold, you're running into gaskets failing and causing a vacuum leak. Which would cause the engine to die.


something like that ...




it stall right when i made a turn to the driveway so i was halfway of the driveway, wouldnt restart untill i turn key and press gas at same time, drive a few inch turn the key off ASAP lol

nick325xit 5spd 01-11-2022 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takimo (Post 1215847)
something like that ...




it stall right when i made a turn to the driveway so i was halfway of the driveway, wouldnt restart untill i turn key and press gas at same time, drive a few inch turn the key off ASAP lol

That's big vacuum leak behavior. Obviously not great, but more benign. I'd also investigate whether you have another vacuum leak. It's easy to check the intake elbow for cracks.

Low oil pressure behavior is spun rod bearings/seized engine and/or rods hanging out the side of the block. You might hear the lifters get noisy first.

Takimo 01-11-2022 12:06 PM

what funny its it start when i first leave home (i guess at that time to gasket didnt fail).... sound like... start in extreme cold = make valve gasket fail ( start of burning smell after few miles)... so it mean vacuum leak and then car stall and wont restart..

nick325xit 5spd 01-11-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takimo (Post 1215850)
what funny its it start when i first leave home (i guess at that time to gasket didnt fail).... sound like... start in extreme cold = make valve gasket fail ( start of burning smell after few miles)... so it mean vacuum leak and then car stall and wont restart..

When the car is cold, it runs in open loop mode. So the impact of a vacuum leak is much less.

EODguy 01-11-2022 01:39 PM

Check oil levels and unplug the MAF and see if you get any satisfaction on starting.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Takimo 01-11-2022 02:21 PM

pretty much sure oil level its lower then it was this morning since i smell burning oil...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.