View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 PM

cn90 is on a distinguished road
DIY E53: Sunroof Tube Kink Fix

DIY E53: Sunroof Tube Kink Fix

OK,

This is not new but the other day when it rained heavily, water leaked from the ceiling console switch!!!

There are a few comments here and there on the web but no detailed DIY.
If you have detached rear sunroof hose, then there is a DIY for detached drain hose by “knfxda”.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-4-4i-e53.html

I have attached the pdf by “knfxda” for your reference.

My problem was a clogged LF drain hose, which WAS KINKED!!! My theory is: the very bottom drain outlet (next to jack pad) has a few leaflets (presumably to block dirt/debris); but freezing rain etc. may cause blockage at the very bottom, then the heavy column of water back up all the way to the sunroof cassette, making the tube heavy ---> coming off the metal clips (in the A pillar). Anyway, just a theory.

NOTE:

1. Wash your hand before touching trim work!

2. I wore goggles for eye protection. It is extremely unlikely that the A-pillar airbag will fire but you need the eyes to go to work lol…

3. Get a spool of grass trimmer ($2 at hardware store), this stuff is plastic, not too stiff, not too soft. I used it to clear the drain.

4. Do NOT use compressed air, it may detach the hose where it is attached to the sunroof cassette. If that happens, read the pdf by “knfxda” lol…

PROCEDURE:

1. Pry off the “HPS” Trim piece using a small screwdriver. Then Torx 25 key to remove the bolt.

2. Note that this trim piece slides under the BLACK rubber seal near the door area (note this for re-installation). See the anatomy of the trim piece: 1 tab and 2 plastic clips. Pull toward the inside of the car and wiggle it off. Install note: make sure the airbag strap does not block the holes for the 2 plastic clips.

3. Now you can see my kinked tube. From factory there was only 1 zip tie. So I added another 4 as shown, making sure the zip tie goes around the wiring loom.

4. While there, I may as well took care of the opposite side. The Right side hose came off a bit but not kinked yet. Anyway, added 4 zip ties.

5. The X5 is slightly lower on the front. So under normal drive, water pools at the front: any blocked drain tube will cause water to spill over at the ceiling switch area.
FRONT: Red arrow
REAR: Blue arrow

6. Drain Exit next to jack pad: over here I cut the leaflets a bit to prevent debris from clogging the bottom.

7. Rear Exit Point, Tailgate area…
That is it, boys and girls...

---
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf E53-Sunroof-Drain.pdf (746.4 KB, 1045 views)

Last edited by cn90; 10-03-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Sponsored Links