View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 PM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Crank pulley / harmonic balancer / Jesus bolt removal

I've got my engine half torn apart to do the head gasket, and figure I'll replace the chain guides "while I'm in there." That requires removal of the timing cover, which requires removal of the crank pulley / harmonic balancer, which requires ... removal of the Jesus bolt.

M54B30 2001 E53 automatic transmission, head is off

Buying the special $150 tool to hold the pulley is just not going to happen.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this situation?

Here's my current plan, and understanding:
22mm bolt, right hand threaded, takes about 300+ Nm (I'll look it up when reinstalling). I'm expecting it may need far more than 300 Nm to loosen it.

I'll mark the bolt in case I need to know what angle to retorque it to (and other torque based methods won't work).

put the flywheel locking pin in. I already did this as part of the head removal, so that will be easy. My understanding is that BMW disavows use of that pin for crank bolt removal, but that it is commonly done and never causes a problem.

I'll hit the bolt with liquid wrench, maybe even some heat if needed. I'll be replacing the front seal as long as I can get the bolt off, but just in case I can't ...

Safety glasses on

first attempt will be with 1/2" air impact gun. The radiator is already out, but it looks like I will need to move the AC condenser out of the way a little for front clearance.

When that fails, I'll move on to a cheater bar - to a 3/4" breaker bar - to a 3/4"-1/2" drive adapter - to the 22mm impact socket.

Or if it fits well, I may try my torque multiplier tool.

Any advice, warnings, or bets?

Sponsored Links