View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 11:57 AM

ahair121 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
10 g/s is way too much at idle. It should be around 3-4. Turn off all electric devices (AC, radio, lights) and check it again. You could try unplugging the MAF and it will default to a throttle position map. This will light up your dash like a Christmas tree but if it runs, it will let you know if your MAF is at fault.
If I unplug the MAF I can hold it at 3/4+ RPM smoothly, but as soon as I let off the gas RPM's drop and it immediately dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Since the misfire code is still in the same cylinder after the swap, the next thing to do will be to look at the plug and do a compression test. What type of scanner are you using? Are you sure the unit for the MAF is set for G/S and not lb/M?
Yes I'm going to do a compression test this week, hopefully tonight. I'm using OBD Fusion and it says g/s. When I use it on my 330i I'm getting 3 or 4 on idle, but on the X5 its 10. Sounds like I need to get the Siemens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
^ This. Get a Siemens/VDO MAF from FCP Euro. Too many stories about the cheap MAF sensors causing all kinds of issues.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...em-13627567451
Yeah this makes sense, I was just excited that I found the cause and didn't want to wait for FCP to ship me a new one. I will get one on order, but I have a feeling it's not the only thing wrong. I should still be able to idle with it unplugged right? I can get rev my engine high with it unplugged, but as soon as I let off the gas it dies. I also need to figure out why it's flooding. Could bad gas still be in the system (assuming 1 year old gas is bad)? I pumped the old gas out from the two holes under the back seats where the fuel pump is, but I don't know how long the car would need to idle to burn out any fuel already in the engine and fuel lines.

Sponsored Links