View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 11:39 PM

workingonit is on a distinguished road
I'm not qualified to be a computer nerd, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-bass View Post
What's your end goal here?

If it's to have a diagnostic laptop and use INPA/ISTA etc then make just your life easier and use a windows laptop. Pretty much anything from the last 20 years will work.

I like an interesting project as much as the next guy but that's once I already have a working setup.
I've wanted INPA/ISTA since I first read of them, months before I traded/swapped for my X5, and even bought my Foxwell 5-6 months before the trade. I like to have tools on hand before I need them. Though the Foxwell is good, others have said that it's limited in scope, and INPA/ISTA (plus others) are the way to go, for more detailed data.

Originally, I wanted to use my broken 6gb laptop, but Geek Squad wanted $700+ to repair it, so I tried to budget a cheaper laptop to use just for the X5. Or talk my wife into upgrading, and give me her 4gb laptop.

I saw a brand-new laptop for 64% off, for Black Friday, and thought it was my best shot to get a budget laptop, considering my retired, low income status, but I encountered unexpected problems since the programs I downloaded were bad, so now, maybe, I can get the "BMW Standard Tools" suite, from a better source, as they supposedly contain these programs:

Inpa 5.0.6
EDIABAS 7.3.0
Bluetooth Activation Tool 1.0.0
BMW Coding Tool 2.5.0
FindECU 1.1
NcsDummy 0.6.10
NcsExpert (English menus & NCS Dummy) 4.0.1
Tool32 4.0.3
WinKFP 5.3.1
Integrated SP-DATEN v67.1,

according to this post on Bimmerfest
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/u...tools.1418253/,

and could be downloaded from here:
https://github.com/gushmazuko/bmw-advanced-tools

which I would've tried (sad refrain, here) on my wife's Windows 10 laptop, if she were to trade it for my new Windows 11 laptop; but since I got her's working again, she said no to the trade. I'm hesitant to download from this new source, having been bitten from github on my desktop, a year ago.

I've just now removed the bad, previously-downloaded "BMW Standard Tools" (from another source, either from Bimmerfest or E46 Fanatics, that contained a Trojan, and messed up some files) from my new laptop, and have since tried to stay with expanded Android apps (which I've used before) on my laptop instead of puny tablet. Problem there was the new laptop can't get the program (Windows Subsystem for Android) from Microsoft, due to having 1/2 of the required RAM needed.

So, I went off into a rabbit hole to use my desktop remotely, to get the Android apps running on it, and the laptop to be used for input and remote display. Above my head, so I'm pulling the plug on this project, and I'll wait until the wife's laptop needs me to unfreeze the keyboard (again). At that time, I'll swap laptops, and get the "BMW Standard Tools" installed on it. I may never need to use them, though, but so many seem to swear by them, I figure they work better than the Foxwell I'm using. You can never get too much data.

Here:
14 Lexus ES350,3.5L-U660E
09 HHR Panel,2.2L-4T45E
04 Chevy 2500HD,6.0L-4L80E
98 GMC Sierra 1500,5.7L-4L60E

Gone:
66 Chevelle Malibu 2dr ht.,327>441c.i.-TH350>PGlide/transbrake
08 Cobalt Coupe,2.2L-4T45E
69 & 75 C10s,350c.i.-TH350
86 S10,2.8L-700R4
73 Volvo 142,2.0L-MT4
72 & 73 VW SuperBeetles,1.6l-MT4