View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Admin

LeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura about
Arrow New BMW model designation system coming in 2009

Remember my post regarding BMW trademark filings . Now this....

When the names of the models in the X6 range were released, we were a little puzzled at the awkward sounding xDrive50i and xDrive35i model designations. Well, the guys over at Bimmerfile have gotten hold of an internal BMW memo, which reveals that this is in fact the bizarre new naming convention for future models.

The memo states that “due to upcoming U.S. regulations in effect for Model Year 2009, we are changing some of our naming protocol. The new naming protocol will affect all products that currently have an engine displacement designation within the name—X3, X5, X6, Z4 and Z4 Coupe.”
It is uncertain whether the Z4 will also get the ‘Drive’ suffix, but it is expected that the X3 and X5 will follow the same conventions as the X6 and have ‘Drive’ placed before the engine displacement number.
At the end of the day, the new naming protocol will have little effect on the cars, but the xDrive badge on a car never looks good in our imaginations - we’re predicting a raft of debadged models driving around in the future.

Sponsored Links