View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR View Post
Don't follow the oil change instructions by BMW. My engine on my M3 almost seized going to NYC at around 11k miles. On Mobile 1 Synthetic, the most I'd go is 6-7K. The 15K oil change is just so BMW doesn't pay the cost for frequent changes since they will be covering it. Regardless of what oil and how thick, after 6-7K driving, it is fully broken down and is as shallow as water. Spend the $100 and change the oil for self once at 6K, and once with BMW at 15K.

Interesting. My BMW engines have never almost seized, despite recommended oil and filter change intervals. Oil looks fine at the change interval, although you can't tell much from a visual. Oil test results from other engines show good oil quality at the recommended change interval, viscosity in spec, additive package still working. Maybe you were not using the recommended oil, or using a non-BMW filter, or driving it in severe service conditions? M engines certainly have the ability to stress the oil more than other BMW engines.

BMW doesn't pay for oil changes, you do. You just pay in advance if you have a maintenance plan.

You might want to check this thread out. Includes pictures of a 100,000 mile engine after oil changes per manufacturer's recommendations. It looked pretty good.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...intervals.html

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links