View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 PM

04_4.8isX5 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Extremely horrible x5 transmission experience, long time-multiple BMW owner

I thought I'd share my most extremely frustrating situation with this forum. I own a 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, beautiful vehicle with only now 48,000miles on it. My wife and I purchased this vehicle from an independent broker in Seattle when it had only a little more than 35,000 miles on it. Lately the x5 has been doing the infamous "lurch" transmission issue and having problems shifting up after about 3rd gear or so. It happens randomnly and inconsistently and not in sport mode.

I have owned aproximately 7 BMW's, raised on working on my own cars and always maintaining them and I am very meticulous to the point some may call OCD! We bought this X5 to drive my wife and our new 10mth old son in.

Getting to the point, I took it to our local Salem BMW dealer/service location and received the diagnosis that the entire transmission needs to be replaced! What's more shocking is the price they gave me would be anywhere from 9500 to aproximately 10,000 for labor and to replace it. After being in shock and upset I tried to speak to the dealer about any type of break or cost reduction, goodwill or anything for us and was denied from both the dealer and BMW NA. When speaking for over 30minutes to BMW NA about my history with them, and the issue, they just told me they couldn't and wouldn't help me since it is no longer under warranty and hadn't been serviced through them since I've owned it. I tried to explain that the car had less than 50,000 miles on it, the transmission in "BMW" terms is lifetime fluid and not to be serviced, the car has been EXTREMELY well taken care of and maintained with records of all the parts I have purchased for it, as well as m other vehicles. They didn't care, they told me they wouldn't do anything but file a complaint.

I currently own a BMW e39 540i as well, have owned multiple e30's, e36's but this experience has made me decide against ever buying a bmw again. We will probably trade this x5 and may get rid of my 540i also for something else and definitely not a BMW because of this experience. I am so so soooo very dissapointed.

-Nathan

Sponsored Links