Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 8
04_4.8isX5 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Extremely horrible x5 transmission experience, long time-multiple BMW owner

I thought I'd share my most extremely frustrating situation with this forum. I own a 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, beautiful vehicle with only now 48,000miles on it. My wife and I purchased this vehicle from an independent broker in Seattle when it had only a little more than 35,000 miles on it. Lately the x5 has been doing the infamous "lurch" transmission issue and having problems shifting up after about 3rd gear or so. It happens randomnly and inconsistently and not in sport mode.

I have owned aproximately 7 BMW's, raised on working on my own cars and always maintaining them and I am very meticulous to the point some may call OCD! We bought this X5 to drive my wife and our new 10mth old son in.

Getting to the point, I took it to our local Salem BMW dealer/service location and received the diagnosis that the entire transmission needs to be replaced! What's more shocking is the price they gave me would be anywhere from 9500 to aproximately 10,000 for labor and to replace it. After being in shock and upset I tried to speak to the dealer about any type of break or cost reduction, goodwill or anything for us and was denied from both the dealer and BMW NA. When speaking for over 30minutes to BMW NA about my history with them, and the issue, they just told me they couldn't and wouldn't help me since it is no longer under warranty and hadn't been serviced through them since I've owned it. I tried to explain that the car had less than 50,000 miles on it, the transmission in "BMW" terms is lifetime fluid and not to be serviced, the car has been EXTREMELY well taken care of and maintained with records of all the parts I have purchased for it, as well as m other vehicles. They didn't care, they told me they wouldn't do anything but file a complaint.

I currently own a BMW e39 540i as well, have owned multiple e30's, e36's but this experience has made me decide against ever buying a bmw again. We will probably trade this x5 and may get rid of my 540i also for something else and definitely not a BMW because of this experience. I am so so soooo very dissapointed.

-Nathan
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Naz24's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,603
Naz24 is on a distinguished road
I do empathize with your situation--my transmission failed( luckily I was still under CPO warranty)

However, this is not the place to say you will never buy a BMW again. Were here to help, not listen to you rant about how much you hate your X5-- as it is a direct insult to us. We all are in love with our X5s.

Sorry that came out a bit harsh, just saying what everyone else here is thinking

With that off my chest, may I suggest going to an independent or specialty transmission shop? The price will be a fraction of what it is at the dealer.or If you are very mechanically inclined, you can rebuild it yourself. I think there are a couple DIY write-ups on it here.

Don't complain, because we have solutions!
__________________
NAZARIO
2015 M3 / 2012 X5M
BMWCCA



Kiss French, Wear Italian, Drive German
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM
diyanich's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 925
diyanich is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_4.8isX5 View Post
I thought I'd share my most extremely frustrating situation with this forum. I own a 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, beautiful vehicle with only now 48,000miles on it. My wife and I purchased this vehicle from an independent broker in Seattle when it had only a little more than 35,000 miles on it. Lately the x5 has been doing the infamous "lurch" transmission issue and having problems shifting up after about 3rd gear or so. It happens randomnly and inconsistently and not in sport mode.

I have owned aproximately 7 BMW's, raised on working on my own cars and always maintaining them and I am very meticulous to the point some may call OCD! We bought this X5 to drive my wife and our new 10mth old son in.

Getting to the point, I took it to our local Salem BMW dealer/service location and received the diagnosis that the entire transmission needs to be replaced! What's more shocking is the price they gave me would be anywhere from 9500 to aproximately 10,000 for labor and to replace it. After being in shock and upset I tried to speak to the dealer about any type of break or cost reduction, goodwill or anything for us and was denied from both the dealer and BMW NA. When speaking for over 30minutes to BMW NA about my history with them, and the issue, they just told me they couldn't and wouldn't help me since it is no longer under warranty and hadn't been serviced through them since I've owned it. I tried to explain that the car had less than 50,000 miles on it, the transmission in "BMW" terms is lifetime fluid and not to be serviced, the car has been EXTREMELY well taken care of and maintained with records of all the parts I have purchased for it, as well as m other vehicles. They didn't care, they told me they wouldn't do anything but file a complaint.

I currently own a BMW e39 540i as well, have owned multiple e30's, e36's but this experience has made me decide against ever buying a bmw again. We will probably trade this x5 and may get rid of my 540i also for something else and definitely not a BMW because of this experience. I am so so soooo very dissapointed.

-Nathan
Sorry to hear that,hey,but come on it's a shame the situation with those trannys,but why don't you go to get a quote from an independent transmission shop?
I bet it's gonna be at list half of what they are asking for.
As many of guy pointed in the tranny's threads,you have to run them hard rather than pampering.
I would go to the tranny shop and ask to change the fluid and filter,but point for the right one OE Filter and Fluid which is an ESSO ATF LT 71141 BMW PART NUMBER 83 22 9 407 807 20 LITER BLUE LIFETIME FILL
If that doesn't help get it checked further,may be it's a mechatronic's unit fault.
Come on,give it a try!
Don't hate it,just get a second opinion..it always rewards at the end
__________________
e53 '00 4.4i Oxford Green II Freshly rebuilt tranny(2nd one) and transfer case/front shaft
e70 '08 3.0si Sapphire Black cinnamon leather 7 seats
e61 '06 530XI Sports Touring Silver - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 8
04_4.8isX5 is on a distinguished road
Apparently I'm not making myself clear because I am frustrated. I loved my x5, my previous experiences and current with other makes of BMW's have been also overall good, however, customer service and loyalty is important in todays economy and market, BMW in this situation has really dropped the ball. The lack of support, and interest in keeping a longtime bmw customer is a huge dissapointmnent and demonstrates how little they stand behind there vehicle. I am far from the only one that has experienced the infamous "transmission lurch" issue with their x5. This is a major common issue being ignored by bmw. I will take my 13+ years of being a bmw parts (thousands and thousands of dollars) and vehicles relationship to a new manufaacturer. Benz lexus, acura? Hmmmm.... Options!
-Nathan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Naz24's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,603
Naz24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_4.8isX5 View Post
Apparently I'm not making myself clear because I am frustrated. I loved my x5, my previous experiences and current with other makes of BMW's have been also overall good, however, customer service and loyalty is important in todays economy and market, BMW in this situation has really dropped the ball. The lack of support, and interest in keeping a longtime bmw customer is a huge dissapointmnent and demonstrates how little they stand behind there vehicle. I am far from the only one that has experienced the infamous "transmission lurch" issue with their x5. This is a major common issue being ignored by bmw. I will take my 13+ years of being a bmw parts (thousands and thousands of dollars) and vehicles relationship to a new manufaacturer. Benz lexus, acura? Hmmmm.... Options!
-Nathan
We UNDERSTAND your frustration. Sorry to hear it. But take it from BMWs pov, they cannot replace your tranny without a warranty, bc then they will have to replace EVERYONES tranny.

Try an Indy shop--seriously
__________________
NAZARIO
2015 M3 / 2012 X5M
BMWCCA



Kiss French, Wear Italian, Drive German
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
JCL's Avatar
JCL JCL is offline
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 11,853
JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
You are unlikely to get any help from the dealer, since you didn't purchase it from them. Looks like you got a better deal at an independent, fair enough. Have you asked your independent broker to pay something towards your transmission, given that they made the profit on the sale? I don't think you would have any luck, but it illustrates the point that you chose not to purchase from a dealer, and not to have your vehicle serviced at the dealer since then. Asking for a policy or goodwill contribution from a dealer will always work better if you are a customer of that dealer.

Given how thin margins are in the dealer business, as nice as it would be for them to recognize your long time BMW loyalty, it just isn't going to happen.

Do you think that Mercedes or another manufacturer would be different in this case?

Also, don't pay the 10k to fix it at the dealer, go to a transmission shop and get it overhauled. Don't bother with a fluid change IMO.
__________________
2007 X3 3.0si, 6 MT, Premium, White

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM
diyanich's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 925
diyanich is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
You are unlikely to get any help from the dealer, since you didn't purchase it from them. Looks like you got a better deal at an independent, fair enough. Have you asked your independent broker to pay something towards your transmission, given that they made the profit on the sale? I don't think you would have any luck, but it illustrates the point that you chose not to purchase from a dealer, and not to have your vehicle serviced at the dealer since then. Asking for a policy or goodwill contribution from a dealer will always work better if you are a customer of that dealer.

Given how thin margins are in the dealer business, as nice as it would be for them to recognize your long time BMW loyalty, it just isn't going to happen.

Do you think that Mercedes or another manufacturer would be different in this case?

Also, don't pay the 10k to fix it at the dealer, go to a transmission shop and get it overhauled. Don't bother with a fluid change IMO.

Probably you'll miss your bimmers if you do get them sold.
__________________
e53 '00 4.4i Oxford Green II Freshly rebuilt tranny(2nd one) and transfer case/front shaft
e70 '08 3.0si Sapphire Black cinnamon leather 7 seats
e61 '06 530XI Sports Touring Silver - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 PM
SlowRider's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Posts: 55
SlowRider is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, this is a risk you take with buying any used car from an independent seller. You bought it with 35k miles and you say you pampered it for 13k miles, but who knows how the previous owner/s drove it?
__________________
'03 X5 4.4i Sport
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Jordo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Posts: 676
Jordo is on a distinguished road
I'll tell you what. I'll buy that x5 off of you for $10k underblue book. Deal?

(then I'll have the trany over hauled for less then $2,500. Sell it and make a quick $7,500.)
__________________


Pro motocrosser since 2005. First time BMW owner.
2002 4.4 E53
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Naz24's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,603
Naz24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
I'll tell you what. I'll buy that x5 off of you for $10k underblue book. Deal?

(then I'll have the trany over hauled for less then $2,500. Sell it and make a quick $7,500.)
Haha, I'll do the same! Time for a bidding war jordo!
__________________
NAZARIO
2015 M3 / 2012 X5M
BMWCCA



Kiss French, Wear Italian, Drive German
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
jerking, lurch, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.