View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 PM

spmd11 is on a distinguished road
Here is how one ships our monster moto tires at a reasonable price...

Hey guys.

I sold my X5 runflats. Problem was, I was looking at huge shipping fees to send them from Kentucky to California. These factory tires on our Sport e70s are absolutely monsters. The rear tires are 13 inches wide and 28 inches in diameter and 42.5 pounds!

Here is what I was facing.

1. If one thought about putting these bad boys in boxes, a 30 inch cubed box exceeds the threshold of shipping sanity and greatly magnifies cost of shipping.
UPS and Fedex cost was in excess of $350 to California from Kentucky! This does not include the cost of the boxes!

2. I looked at sending the tires without boxes, by taping round card board cutouts on the outside of the tires and taping two tires together. Cost?
UPS = $240 and Fedex = $300

3. What I did. Try Greyhound PackageXpress
I packaged the tires with no boxes, and used cardboard cutouts, two tires taped together
One can ship just about anything in the bellies of Greyhound buses! They have a dedicated division of their company called Greyhound PackageXpress.
You can send a massively big box, up to 100 pounds all the way across the country for $65! This also includes $1,000 insurance and tracking capability. You go online, select your origin bus station and destination bus station, purchase the shipping online. They email you your package label, you bring your box to the station and that's it!

2011 X5 5.0
2010 135i Sport Convertible
2011 335i Sport
2011 135i Sport

Last edited by spmd11; 01-13-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Sponsored Links