View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM

TerminatorX5 is on a distinguished road
i seriously doubt that there something mechanical or hidraulic is going on - chances are, something rather on the electronic side of the house... the gears are shifted based on the vehicle speed, and the engine speed (super simplified, there are whole bunch of other sensors involved). If a speed sensor in the rear right is slipping the transmission may get "confused" and select incorrect gear, or the truck will go into "limp mode" just for sake of avoiding further mismatch between the road speed and engine speed...

I had this happen on me in E34 when I span on the highway 4 times before coming to a stop - i had the car for a week, was going to NYC for a party and thought that I broke the new car... tuned the engine off, back on, never seen that message in the next 10 years...

saw that message in the E53 (4.6iS) when the ABS module went bad, saw the same message when the speed sensor lost its conncetivity - the failsafe mode is the 3rd gear, that is all... if there was mechanical issue, you would probably know by now, with all the wierd noises, vibrations, and other mechanical things that would have manifested itself...

I am not 100% ruling out the fluid and gears - just pointing out that these things may have so many other reasons for failsafe mode...

Sponsored Links