Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW Related Forums > Tire, Wheel, Brake and Suspension Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Boston X5 4.4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 1,506
Boston X5 4.4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
The guy at the tire shop suggested having them "flipped on the rim" every 10,000 miles. (They take the tire off of the rim, and turn it around so that what was on the inside is now on the outside, to even out the uneven wear caused by the negative camber.) Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone else have this done?

You can't flip them on the rim if they are asymmetric as tread pattern and sometimes composition is different across the tire.
The Diamaris is asymmetric - don't know about the Proxes.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
broknlgs24's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,027
broknlgs24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
The guy at the tire shop suggested having them "flipped on the rim" every 10,000 miles. (They take the tire off of the rim, and turn it around so that what was on the inside is now on the outside, to even out the uneven wear caused by the negative camber.) Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone else have this done?
if i remember correctly, the toyo's are unidirectional. i could be wrong, but i do not think u can do this w/ the toyo's.check ur tires, u should see arrows on the sidewall indicating the rolling direction.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Boston X5 4.4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 1,506
Boston X5 4.4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by broknlgs24
if i remember correctly, the toyo's are unidirectional. i could be wrong, but i do not think u can do this w/ the toyo's.check ur tires, u should see arrows on the sidewall indicating the rolling direction.
Its if they are assymetric or not that matters whether or not you can flip them on the rim. You can (have to) flip unidirectionals on the rim.

Personally, if the tires were balanced well first time I would just bust buy new shoes when its time rather than trying to eke out the last few miles.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
vinuneuro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MI/IL/IN
Posts: 7,800
vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
They are directional tires. If they flipped the tire on the wheel, it'd be so that they can rotate side to side, not just front-back. The LF would go to the RR, etc. Would combat any camber wear related issues.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Michelle's Avatar
Admin, Moderator, Premier Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,749
Michelle has disabled reputation
If they can't be flipped on the same rim, could the left rear tire be moved to the right rear rim? They'd still be rolling in the same direction, but what was on the inside will now be on the outside.
__________________
/ / / Michelle
Administrator, Moderator, and Premier Member


My Former 2001 E53 4.4i & 2008 E70 3.0si Pics of the 2012 X5 35d coming soon! | Support Xoutpost.com & become a Premier Member | Join the BMW CCA
RIP SuperGreg ~ Forever in my heart <3
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
vinuneuro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MI/IL/IN
Posts: 7,800
vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
If they can't be flipped on the same rim, could the left rear tire be moved to the right rear rim? They'd still be rolling in the same direction, but what was on the inside will now be on the outside.
They're flipping so that they can do that. If they swapped wheels like that without flipping the tire, the tire would be rolling backwards.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Michelle's Avatar
Admin, Moderator, Premier Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,749
Michelle has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
They're flipping so that they can do that. If they swapped wheels like that without flipping the tire, the tire would be rolling backwards.
I think you misunderstood what I said.

The rims are going to stay in the same spot. They would be moving the tire only. It would still be rolling in the same direction....
__________________
/ / / Michelle
Administrator, Moderator, and Premier Member


My Former 2001 E53 4.4i & 2008 E70 3.0si Pics of the 2012 X5 35d coming soon! | Support Xoutpost.com & become a Premier Member | Join the BMW CCA
RIP SuperGreg ~ Forever in my heart <3
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
vinuneuro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MI/IL/IN
Posts: 7,800
vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
I think you misunderstood what I said.

The rims are going to stay in the same spot. They would be moving the tire only. It would still be rolling in the same direction....
It doesn't matter whether the wheels move or not. As long as the tire moves from left-right and is facing the right direction.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Boston X5 4.4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 1,506
Boston X5 4.4 is on a distinguished road
Short(ish) generalized answer
- non-staggered, non-directional, symmetric can be rotated all round front and back without taking the tire off the wheel
- non-staggered, directional, symmetric can be rotated front to back on same side without taking the tire off the wheel
- staggered, non-directional, symmetric can be rotated left to right but not front to back without taking the tire off the wheel
- staggered, directional, symmetric can be rotated left to right but you need to re-mount the tires on the rims (inside out so to speak)
- staggered, directional, asymmetric can not be rotated

I think the Toyo Proxes are staggered, directional and assymetric (last one above) so you can't (or shouldn't) rotate them.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:57 PM
LeMansX5's Avatar
Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 20,257
LeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston X5 4.4
Short(ish) generalized answer
- non-staggered, non-directional, symmetric can be rotated all round front and back without taking the tire off the wheel
- non-staggered, directional, symmetric can be rotated front to back on same side without taking the tire off the wheel
- staggered, non-directional, symmetric can be rotated left to right but not front to back without taking the tire off the wheel
- staggered, directional, symmetric can be rotated left to right but you need to re-mount the tires on the rims (inside out so to speak)
- staggered, directional, asymmetric can not be rotated

I think the Toyo Proxes are staggered, directional and assymetric (last one above) so you can't (or shouldn't) rotate them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.