Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X1 (E84) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
JCL's Avatar
JCL JCL is offline
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 11,853
JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
BMW Four Cylinder 28xdrive

So, wondering what people think about the 28 six cylinder, used in the 1, 3, 5, and X3, going to a new 28 four cylinder, in the X1? Lots of technology, four cylinder 2 litre direct injection twin-scroll turbo, and it will compete directly with the VW 2.0 turbo engine used in lots of different models.

I really like six cylinder BMW engines, so it is a little sad, even though I enjoyed my 318i way back in the early '90s. I think we will see a lot more BMW four cylinder engines coming up. This appears to be the beginning of the end for the N52/N53, a couple of great engines.
__________________
2007 X3 3.0si, 6 MT, Premium, White

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: WNC
Posts: 6,011
AzNMpower32 is on a distinguished road
I never fell in love with the N52. It's a good motor, technologically advanced, and does everything really well. Low emissions, fuel consumption, and broad torque. But it lacked the crispness (Valvetronic probably) and throaty nature of the M54. Never sounded as thrilling either.

I do like the shift towards turbo 4 cylinders. The Opel Insignia I drove with the 2 litre turbo had serious punch and torque, yet was docile and smooth when driven lightly, with just a hint of whistle if you listen for it. Too bad the Insignia is so heavy- the fuel consumption takes a bit of a hit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
NIGHTMAREuki's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 117
NIGHTMAREuki is on a distinguished road
I'm a Huge fan of low end TQ, and this new inline 4 with 250TQ from 1200rpms makes me drool.
I loved to be able to accelerate from 35mph in 5th gear and pass cars on the highway in 6th in my maxima with VQ35
I dont think it will be as refined as N52 or sound as good but more TQ and extra power from tuning will make this a great engine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Fraser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,135
Fraser is on a distinguished road
The move from bigger atmo engines to smaller turbo engines is inevitable due to the demand for clean trailpipe and low fuel use. I too will lament the passing of the atmo petrol six if it comes to pass as good as the turbo fours may be. Interesting that BMW in the meantime has 'detuned' the three litre six for the X1 and X3 for the same economy and emission reasons. Here in Oz we get an X1 badged as a 25i even though it has a three-litre six. It loses about 40kW off the top end but has far stronger mid-range power with max torque already on tap at an almost diesel-like 2500rpm. It's actually a really nice drive with so much useable low-rpm power but still with the ability to keep revving at the way to 7000rpm.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
So, wondering what people think about the 28 six cylinder, used in the 1, 3, 5, and X3, going to a new 28 four cylinder, in the X1? Lots of technology, four cylinder 2 litre direct injection twin-scroll turbo, and it will compete directly with the VW 2.0 turbo engine used in lots of different models.

I really like six cylinder BMW engines, so it is a little sad, even though I enjoyed my 318i way back in the early '90s. I think we will see a lot more BMW four cylinder engines coming up. This appears to be the beginning of the end for the N52/N53, a couple of great engines.
As long as it provides similar/better economy and performance as the six cylinder, why should it matter?
__________________
Profeshenal spellar
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Fraser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,135
Fraser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH View Post
As long as it provides similar/better economy and performance as the six cylinder, why should it matter?
An inline six sounds and feels completely different to an inline four, smoother too. There's more at stake here than performance and economy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
An inline six sounds and feels completely different to an inline four, smoother too. There's more at stake here than performance and economy.
I was just ribbing JCL from a different thread regaring the Ford Mustang's live axle. He said if it goes around a track as fast as an M3 with an independent rear suspension, then it doesn't matter. Essentially saying, it is the end result, not the means of getting there. I saw similarities here.

I know what you mean about the difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder engines, though. I have put over 300,000 miles on BMW straight six engines. I love the silky smoothness and balance, but BMW needs to give the North American versions more power. Detuned versions such as the base 1 and 3 series just don't cut it, imo. They just don't have enough oomph.

At the end of the day, if using 4 cylinders allows BMW to reduce emmissions and maintain/improve overall performance while also reducing vehicle weight (and shift some of it off the front axle), it will be a good thing, imo.
__________________
Profeshenal spellar

Last edited by FSETH; 01-19-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Fraser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,135
Fraser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH View Post
Detuned versions such as the base 1 and 3 series just don't cut it, imo. They just don't have enough oomph.

Yes, the tuned sixes are down on top-end zip but are still very pleasant to drive and, depending on the road, very handy too. I'm driving a (3-litre) X1 25i (loaner) right and I love the way it's so tractable out of slow corners but still has heaps of rpm to play with. Plus its economy is almost diesel-like.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Yes, the tuned sixes are down on top-end zip but are still very pleasant to drive and, depending on the road, very handy too. I'm driving a (3-litre) X1 25i (loaner) right and I love the way it's so tractable out of slow corners but still has heaps of rpm to play with. Plus its economy is almost diesel-like.
Well, I would think with 245 hp and 258+/- lb. ft. torque (350 nm) available at only 1,250 RPM, the 4 cylinder would pull harder out of low speed corners than the model you are driving. Plus economy would be better and the car would be lighter. I am not sure what the redline is on the 4 cylinders, but wouldn't it be close to that of the 6 cylinder?
__________________
Profeshenal spellar
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Fraser's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,135
Fraser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH View Post
Well, I would think with 245 hp and 258+/- lb. ft. torque (350 nm) available at only 1,250 RPM, the 4 cylinder would pull harder out of low speed corners than the model you are driving. Plus economy would be better and the car would be lighter. I am not sure what the redline is on the 4 cylinders, but wouldn't it be close to that of the 6 cylinder?
Yes, the turbo four would be stronger off the bottom but has the extra complication of the turbo system and the power wouldn't possibly be as liner as the atmo six, depending on how well the turbo works. Either way, it still wouldn't be a smooth and sweet as the six and I doubt it would rev to 7000rpm. I'm not saying the detuned six is the last word in great engines, it's just that it works really well in as much as its tractable but revvy, smooth-as-silk, and surprisingly economical. Believe me, I'm a card-carrying diesel head and for a petrol engine to please me, it has to be good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.